Skip to main content

It happened at last!

\
Yes, finally I have sewed! Yesterday I hemmed two pairs of trousers for a friend of mine but I didn't bother taking any photos. Today I made McCalls 5087 from 1976 (I was 14 and in grade 10!). I made it from some cotton knit stuff I had just to test the size and fit. I didn't have enough of each fabric so I made it with the dots on the front and the back and sleeves out of this washed out stripe fabric. I had some scrap red knit stuff (notice my wide reaching knowledge of knit fabrics?) that my girlfriend had given me to make my first binding! 

I basted the red on with the normal machine then sewed it with the overlocker. Then I used a twin needle to finish it off and although I saw it wasn't quite right, I only noticed tonight that I should have put one needle in each fabric... of well this was just a test garment. 



Notice how one thread for the twin needle goes into the normal holder but on the other side there is also one. I've never notice this before and would just thread both the threads the same, until I saw it on a blog a while ago (sorry can't remember which one - tell me if it was you!). I haven't had time to see if my older machine has this too. Anyone else notice?



See here, one of the needles should have been in the red and the other on the white... I knew it was off but couldn't work out what and just finished it before having to go out so didn't really work it out till later.



I made view C but with no cuffs and I added the binding as they had facings included (as if!). I shortened the length ('cause I'm short.. 158cm) for the body and sleeves and am pretty happy with the fit and size. I love raglan sleeves and I have to say this was perfectly drafted. Not one millimetre out! I know it's simple but... 

This top will be a sleep shirt but now that I have tested and like the fit I will make some more. I have a lovely aqua merino wool that I'd like to make up and some other soft floaty stuff(more knit fabric knowledge) that I will make it up with. I hope to trace out a My Image pants and top pattern tomorrow. I have a couple of things I want to finish too. Tomorrow afternoon my son comes home from his Dad's and we have a week together so I guess not much sewing will happen. 

Oh after I looked at these photos, I went out to find some new bras... I have needed to for a while and just didn't have time. It takes so much time.. didn't find any and will work on making my own but I know that takes a lot of time so will have to buy some till that is worked out.

Comments

Joy said…
Oh, what a fun vintage pattern! I like your fabric choices for this one.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit