Family

FAMILY - Two or more people who share goals and values, have long-term commitments to one another and reside usually in the same dwelling place.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Undies, grundies, smalls, intimates, unmentionables...whatever you call them

Whatever you call them, I made them finally. I have been putting off buying undies because I can make them but I haven't ever made any before and was nervous about it. Why ever so???? It is so easy. My impetus was finding Kwik Sew 1484 at the Salvo Thrift Shop a few weeks ago. I had a free day yesterday and wanted to sew but had to have a win... I've not been too happy with my fitting lately and have been putting off sewing stuff although I know what I want to make.



The first pair I made with fabric leftovers from a Fabric Store buy that I made a bias cowl dress (don't know if I blogged it) and I made them in size Medium and they a bit too big so the next two I made in a small size and they are perfect. The sheer flowery fabric was $2 at the Fabric Store a while ago and I only bought a metre because I like the colours and wasn't sure what to make from it, the other is like a tightly knit but fine power mesh (but it's not mesh - if that makes sense) perfect for undies. I had all the elastic from a bag I bought at Big W in the city years ago and there was a few different types. The gusset was made from old cotton t-shirts and were perfect for the job.

I'm really happy with these and I feel like I've had a win. I really want to start making my own bras so maybe this is the start of my lingerie making! Do you make your own undies, if not, why not!

17 comments:

  1. They look great ~ and I guess they really didn't cost you much at all! Since you have had such success with these, give the bra's a go ~ you will be saving yourself a fortune ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judith, no cost other than a bit of time and $1 for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have worked out really well - and not much invested in your learning lesson either, so win/win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definite win/win and I'm itching to make more!

      Delete
  4. Great work...you are on the road to a new obsession!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha :) Yes I can see this is very addictive and I think it will be good for getting my skills up for swimsuit making.

      Delete
  5. These look impressive. I have made a pair of pants (ie underwear) once and though i always intended to make more I never got around to it somehow. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy. I think the Kwik Sew pattern instructions help. It's pretty easy. Go to it!

      Delete
  6. I 'very had a go at making undies. It's fun , great way to use little scraps and most importantly really really comfy. Yours look very professional I still need to improve mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I was surprised how good they came out. They are comfy and cheap!

      Delete
  7. Great work for your first time - the elastic application looks very professional! I don't make my own undies because I like those laser cut seamless type but I should start because they cost an absolute fortune for such a small amount of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the ones you mean.. they are expensive. That natural fabric I have is very slinky and easy to sew but gives a nice smooth finish under clothes. It was cheap too from memory.

      Delete
  8. Yay for a win! The underwear looks great! I have yet to sew any for myself but have made some for my little girls. They seem to prefer the handmade ones vs. the storebought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The underwear look great! I have yet to make some for myself but have sewn a few pairs for my younger girls. They love to wear them and definitely prefer them to the store bought kind.

    Thanks for stopping my blog!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting mine. Your kids are gorgeous and your son's reduced interest in getting his photo taken is same as my son's. Most times now I can only put photos of what I've made but not on him.

      Delete
  10. I love making my own undies - a great way to use small pieces of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great isn't it.... so fun...that's the most sewing fun and instant satisfaction I've had for a long time!

      Delete

I love getting comments - thanks for taking the time.