Skip to main content

Burda 7441 Pleated Trousers


I'm making some trousers... Burda 7441. I bought this pattern at Make It Fabrics at Logan about 6 months ago for $5. Not an op shop price but good for a Burda pattern. They are a lovely pair of trousers... welt pockets at the back and slant pockets at the front with a curved waistband, a lovely looking leg and a single large pleat at each side. (A lot like the Papercut Patterns Guise Pants without the elastic back). I'm not sure I need a couple of big pleats at my pot belly but I'm making them out of that .50c piece of cotton fabric I got at the fabric sale last fortnight, so nothing lost but a number of hours if they don't work out. When I say don't work out... of course I mean "won't fit".  I think I've made a size 16 (or 18) for my well endowed rear and tum, but the legs are looking a little narrow. I'm using a remnant of cotton quilting fabric I bought at Spotlight for a few dollars. Perfect for contrast fancy pockets, particularly when there was not really enough fabric just for the trousers. I'll show you what I had to piece later.


As I said, I had so little fabric I couldn't even cut the under pocket thing with the extension (this is the first pattern I have with these pockets and I likey) so I just cut the under pocket as a whole piece (see below) and cut a piece to sew on the top on the right side for the part that will be seen. I've done this once before for a pair of my son's shorts because of the same lack of fabric.


These are the pleated fronts with the pockets done. Can't see that pocket lining at all! I've done the zip already too. That's another post because of the different types of instructions Burda gave. I wasn't going to do it their way, but the compulsive in me  I thought I'd give it a go. It turned out pretty good so I may try that way again.

Have you noticed anything different about the fabric. It is so creased! When I washed it after the burn test (cotton) it creased up immediately and no manner of ironing gets it much better than you see.  I kind of like it... if they fit, they'll be my travel pants! Why isn't all cotton creased? Oh I shall miss that ironing... not! The thing I can't work out is how they stay creased when the burn test showed clearly this fabric is cotton... just some ash left.


When I make the crotch curve I clip first and then overlock while keeping the seam straight so the clipped parts open up .. I used to clip last but the overlocking gets messed up so I figured this was neater. It lets the seam open up nicely.


This is what the inside pocket looks like. The colours here are the most accurate.


This is the pocket close up - no peaking of the lining there!


The pockets on the inside of the front.


Better photo of the pleated front.


Oooh, my welts. Meet left welt and right welt. Not bad ... I haven't made welts since about 1996 I think.


Close up shows they are not perfect. I used Poppykettle's tutorial.. Thanks Melanie. Although I used only the first half the tutorial because the pocket bag was two piece for the Burda pattern and Melanie used the same piece. I kind of made my own way as the Burda way was different from the start so I couldn't mix the two ways. Maybe the ironing will help later?


I love the way the welt is right through the middle of the dart that is made first. I also love the crease of the fabric right through the middle of it too!


This is the inside finished back pocket.


I've done the zip and then I pinned the side seams up but I had to go to my son's last play in primary school. I have my secret project to finish up tomorrow (if it works out, but I'll show you either way) and then I'll finish up these trousers. I've got a dress and top made to still show, plus a simple dress that hasn't worked but I can fix, but no photographer and I keep forgetting to take the photos myself. It's the last week of primary school for my boy so it's a busy week.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my last post and in the last few weeks. I know it's a drag to post comments sometimes but like most, I love hearing your thoughts.

Comments

Sarah Liz said…
I love the hidden treat pocket inside - nice and cheerful. And some fabrics are deliberately crinkle crushed when they are dried - and they look fantastic. So yes, these will be great for what you plan. The cotton will probably get all soft one day too and look even better.
Judith said…
Hey! Great sewing, these will be brilliant for travelling ... J
Sue said…
Great welt pockets. Sad when the time markers tick by of the kids growing up.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit