Skip to main content

The Fab Four.



These are the fab four... a charcoal one, a purple (one of her colours) with coral/orangey back (not her colour), the rust red one and the taupe one.


I thought I'd show the four singlet tops I made for my niece in more detail. They were made from scraps of merino knit that was from the fabric sale I went to a few weeks ago. It is a lovely slubby merino and behaved very well. I traced the pattern - pretty easy for a singlet - front and back. The original has bindings on the armholes and neckline but I didn't have enough fabric for binding for the armholes. In the photo above I cut two fronts or backs at a time. You can also see the leftovers were not much - I had to cut the neck bindings out of those tiny scraps. The fabric was also about 5 cm shorter than the original top (and serendipitously just wide enough). The original tip was very long on Zoe's body (she's a stage manager and does a lot of bending and stretching so for work wear it needs the length). At the shorter length however, it sat perfectly right on her hip bone (which I was always taught was the exact length for a top... if it wasn't a crop top etc.).  She tried the rust red one when it was done and it fit perfectly; I didn't want to make 4 that didn't fit. I took out the extra length from the middle to keep the shape of the hip in the pattern. Of course on the original, it must sit way too low.


Very original naming of my pattern as I am sure she will want others at some time.


The taupe one I made with a wide binding and didn't top stitch it as I though it looked much smarter like this. I could do this also because there was an extra piece of taupe and originally I though I would make contrast bindings for all of them, but realised my niece wouldn't like that really and then probably wouldn't wear them.


The purple/coral one was a 'colour block' one to use the one piece of purple and the one piece of coral. The coral and the red I just couldn't photograph to show the true colours. The others are pretty accurate.


Like the original, I put my label on the hemline. I used a fancy stitch on my sewing machine that is like a "L" all joined up. I really liked it on the samples and it makes a simple feature.


The coverstitch was still threaded with red so I coverstitched the red one and if you can see the stitching lines I made a little feature of the start and finish. Small things.. I really like this!


The purple thread was a near enough situation as I didn't want to go out to Trad's for thread and I liked the slightly different look of the purple on the purple and the coral. I kept the front quite plain for the purple one, it being her colour, and leaving the coral on the back so she couldn't see it.. as it happens she really likes it.


Of course I didn't have thread to match this taupe colour so to Trad's I went anyway! I really like this colour, lovely hand  and the slubby texture of the merino. These tops were Zoe's Christmas present and a huge hit. It made me happy. I love sewing things that my family love and appreciate. It is way more satisfying than sewing for myself.

It's been nice reading about all the lovely things people have made for Christmas. I hope you all had a great celebration if you celebrate and if you don't I hope you enjoyed your time with loved ones.

Comments

Sue said…
Lovely tops and a very generous gift. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit