Skip to main content

Fabric Sale - MELBOURNE

I've just come across a fabric sale that is in Melbourne on Saturday 18 April. Below are the details from designerstitch.com.au where they have a list of fabric shops in Brisbane and surrounds and also through the rest of Queensland and the other states. I'm sure if you live in Melbourne you are aware of Designer Stitch School of Fashion and Design, but I'd never heard of them before. The list of fabric shops in and around Brisbane is very comprehensive and there are some I have not heard of before.

Massive Italian Fabric Warehouse Sale  April 18th – Open Direct to the Public

One Day Only – Saturday 18th April  from 9.30 am until 3.30pm.
5 Marriott Street, Oakleigh. (off Dandenong Road ) ( the building does not have an obvious sign –  with only a small sign in window that reads “ Christopher George”)
Fabrics at wholesale prices – ALL imported direct from ITALY….
Linens – $5.00 p/m
Denims – $6.00 p/m (varying weights and stretch)
Silks – $5.00 p/m ( varying lengths on rolls and assorted prints)
Knits – $4.00 p/m ( mercerised strips and assorted plains/marle)
Wools – $8.00 p/m ( varying weights)
Plus stacks of other assorted fabrics still in this price range. Adriana has told me that there have been deliveries of new fabrics yet again. !!!!!

Anyway these are the details.... sounds fantastic. Lucky I'm not going... If you go please let me know what you get. Have you heard of Designer Stitch or the local fabric shops?

And just so this is not a post with no photos, I'll show you some of what I bought at the Alanna Hill Outlet shop in Melbourne when I went in December.


This is a lovely, very fine crepe like silk with beads on it. The brown isn't me but I couldn't resist it and I will make a little top out of it. It was only $10 per metre and I only bought 1 metre.


It was on the roll wrapped with tissue paper and that's how I'm storing it too (not for long I hope).


I also bought this lovely zip which is a separating satin zip with a lovely flower pull tab. I also bought the jumbo snaps that were covered with either red, silver or pink satin. Then some mirror buttons in different shapes (these I want to make a shirt with a different shape in each button hole) and some little buttons with a 'diamond' in the middle and some little smokey glass buttons. The silver ones on the bottom right are metal buttons and I got 2 large ones and 10 small ones. All the buttons were 10 for $2 and the zip was $1. I also got a heat transfer of a heart shaped out of little rhinestones. I hope to make a t-shirt and put that on. I also bought a knit that was double sided stripes - one really narrow and the other side about 1cm, in navy and grey I think.


This gorgeous (out of focus) fabric was picked up on our road trip last September at an op shop in Tamworth. It's gorgeous (and a vintage designer fabric... although I'm not into that really) and I think there is about 1.5 metres. If I have enough I may try to make a jacket or maybe a shift dress.

Have you bought anything lately?

Comments

BeaJay said…
Couple of nice fabrics you have purchased there. Glad I am not in Melbourne otherwise I would need to go and spend up big.
Patricia said…
I really love your collection of sewing notions - the zip is amazing, and you will do so much with the pretty buttons. The two pieces of fabric are very special and unique.
Annie G said…
Hi SDT. Ann here from Designer Stitch in Melbourne. Thanks for posting all the details re: the Italian Fabric Warehouse Sale. This is the 3rd in a series of sales over the last 18 months. I have worked in the rag trade for over 30 years so have loads of contacts that I can draw on - hence the access to this wholesaler. I have also been teaching in the fashion education field for also @30 years - so being able to offer fabulous fabric sources to all my E-Alert mailing list (4000 +) is great for everyone. The sale has attracted people who have flown in for the day -from SA right through to Sydney. If you join my mailing list at http://designerstitch.com.au/fabric-e-alert/ you will be advised of any and all forthcoming sales -you just may come down for a "Fabric visit ". Cheerio and Kind Regards. Ann from Designer Stitch
kbenco said…
What a lovely enabling post. I am glad I'm not in Melbourne, this would be terrible for my fabric diet.
I love your Alannah Hill fabrics. I bought 2 of those flower zips when I was there last October (and maybe some chiffon I didn't really need...you can see the reason for the fabric diet.. - maybe we can be zipper twins at the next high tea ;)
Summer Flies said…
Now there's a challenge! My fabric stash needs no help at the moment and so also glad (sadly) that I am not in Melbourne today also.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit