Thursday, September 3, 2015

Make a plan and stick to it!

I decided that I need to write a plan of the things I need to make before moving onto other things. I wrote a plan, which you can see below and then immediately cut and made a simple vintage top, as you do.  It is made from a cut up cotton voile, strappy summer dress I bought last year for $10 that was too voluminous, to my ankles, lined in plain cotton voile which basically made it unflattering and way too hot for our summer. I love the bright colours and I love the cotton voile. You may notice that this top was not on the plan. 

I'm excited about this top for two reasons. One it worked out and fits and the other reason is because I thought it was a size 14 but it is a size 10. That actually makes more sense as the shoulders, neckline and length is perfect (if just a smidge tight in the bust but I am an E cup). 

No gaping in the back either which is something I really struggle with. I'm really pleased with this little top and will make more. It's actually a great starter pattern as it went together in an hour, everything matched perfectly and mades it instant gratification.

Here's my list that I immediately ignored. That's not necessarily the order to sew, just the order I thought of them.  I have muslined a Vogue dress (V8871) a few weeks ago but got distracted by the last two Burda tops. I'll go back to it soon. The Vogue 8650 top has been cut out for a number of weeks and should be next I think and I have two pairs of togs (swimmers) cut out, one needing just elastic but is not the right shape for me so may scrap or finish and give to someone. I need togs so I should get onto them too.

This Vogue 8926 pattern above is my 'Morris' blazer pattern. As you can see nearly exactly the same but for the straight hemline.... you can see where I have cut the corner of the front hemline to replicate the Morris. I have a stripe ponte knit I'll try and make this up with but being a size 14 it may be too big. It is only 4 pieces so it's pretty simple.

Here's the 1980 Simplicity pattern for the top jumping the queue! Oh, it's pretty straight from the arm down to the hip so I widened it about 6 cm each side to give it more 'A' shape and to cover my hips. I see more in my future. That line drawing showing some potential colour blocking was done by the last owner. Can you tell making a plan doesn't come naturally to me?

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Burda 2/2015 Model 104 muslin.

I really love the unusual style of Burda Kenzo shirt copy. Chanel No 6 blog person has made this top and as I had it out of the library I thought I'd give it a go as mentioned in the previous post. I never make muslins (toiles) as I get bored making the same thing twice in a row but that's probably why I don't have a good fit, and I really wanted to see if this would suit me before cutting into some nicer fabric. 

Photo courtesy of Chanel No 6 blog.
I was looking for something else in the stash that lives in the boxes under the house and found this quite stiff poly/cotton (I think) fabric which is really perfect to see drape of the flounce. They are not good photos - using the selfie stick and the mirror at night. Not a perfect scenario but the best I can do not having a photographer at home at the moment.

I love the flounce on the front. I'm surprised it looks ok. I made the muslin with no sleeves yet and I haven't attached the collar either but I will to see the fit. It's my first two piece sleeve.

I'm not sure of the back view. It's a really terrible photo and you can't see the details so I'll finish and try and get better photos. The right side is sitting funny as I caught a pucker in the seam but otherwise the flounce is really nice. I think this will look nice in a plain fabric. I'll talk about attaching those very curvy convex and concave seams as my computer is running out of battery any second.