Skip to main content

Make a plan and stick to it!

I decided that I need to write a plan of the things I need to make before moving onto other things. I wrote a plan, which you can see below and then immediately cut and made a simple vintage top, as you do.  It is made from a cut up cotton voile, strappy summer dress I bought last year for $10 that was too voluminous, to my ankles, lined in plain cotton voile which basically made it unflattering and way too hot for our summer. I love the bright colours and I love the cotton voile. You may notice that this top was not on the plan. 



I'm excited about this top for two reasons. One it worked out and fits and the other reason is because I thought it was a size 14 but it is a size 10. That actually makes more sense as the shoulders, neckline and length is perfect (if just a smidge tight in the bust but I am an E cup). 


No gaping in the back either which is something I really struggle with. I'm really pleased with this little top and will make more. It's actually a great starter pattern as it went together in an hour, everything matched perfectly and mades it instant gratification.


Here's my list that I immediately ignored. That's not necessarily the order to sew, just the order I thought of them.  I have muslined a Vogue dress (V8871) a few weeks ago but got distracted by the last two Burda tops. I'll go back to it soon. The Vogue 8650 top has been cut out for a number of weeks and should be next I think and I have two pairs of togs (swimmers) cut out, one needing just elastic but is not the right shape for me so may scrap or finish and give to someone. I need togs so I should get onto them too.


This Vogue 8926 pattern above is my 'Morris' blazer pattern. As you can see nearly exactly the same but for the straight hemline.... you can see where I have cut the corner of the front hemline to replicate the Morris. I have a stripe ponte knit I'll try and make this up with but being a size 14 it may be too big. It is only 4 pieces so it's pretty simple.


Here's the 1980 Simplicity pattern for the top jumping the queue! Oh, it's pretty straight from the arm down to the hip so I widened it about 6 cm each side to give it more 'A' shape and to cover my hips. I see more in my future. That line drawing showing some potential colour blocking was done by the last owner. Can you tell making a plan doesn't come naturally to me?

Comments

I love your top! That print is fabulous!
We all need a plan to sew. I have one also, but I keep getting sidetracked too. But at least when I get into a lull, I have a plan to look at and say, "I'll sew this next". Plans are good, but not set in concrete. I'm happy if I sew 75% of my plans!
Loved your post, and I can't wait to see what you sew up next!
Bonnie @ www.sewplus.blogspot.com
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Bonnie. Even since this post I've got a different dress on the floor to cut out! I'm actually planning to get two big boxes of winter fabrics out of my tiny sewing room to focus on summer things.
Patricia said…
I love that 1980 pattern, in fact I often wish I had kept my patterns from back then, because they fit my body much better than what is around today. Your top looks wonderful, and what a good save of some beautiful fabric. I make the plans too - but never follow them either :) I will have to live to 150 to get through all the ideas that come to me....
Judith said…
Hi, long time, no sew from my end! I love what you are sewing lately, that Vogue pattern looks great - you'll make up a lovely jacket from it.
Anyways, I have a few patterns that I no longer have a need for and thought of you and your ever-growing son. The boys patterns are all Burda's - 9699, 9787, 9794, 9762 and 8451 and all up to a size 16 (multisized). Let me know if you are interested and I'll drop them off to you in the coming school holidays. There is also about 30 other patterns for ladies if you are interested in just taking the lot!!! Time for me to cull ... cheers, J
SewTypical said…
Great Top! I wish I could find fabric like that...
:-)
Summer Flies said…
Judith I would love the patterns. I was just thinking today that I have to get some Burda in particular for Alex. Thanks for the offer. Thanks. email me at sofia@internode.on.net and we can get together for a coffee maybe when my son's at his Dads... he wouldn't mind missing the pattern talk!
Summer Flies said…
Look for cheap dresses! I loved the fabric but wasn't sure about the big print but I do really love it. Thank you.
Sarah Liz said…
Hi, thank you for all your comments while I was away (on my scheduled posts). Sorry I did not post on your blog - I couldn't, my tablet would not let me - technology!!!. I've read them all though.

I love lists too - and although I often go sideways, just like you have, it does help to keep some focus :). And what a great remake of something that did not work - it's a very pretty little top, and just right for the patterned summer trends.
Summer Flies said…
Thank you, you are so kind. Yes not a fan of technology... I guess we are of that era where we could take it or leave it. I'm still kind of on the list :)

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit