Skip to main content

Making all the things... and a city surprise!

Well after working out I had nothing to wear and making stuff for my niece, I've found a real sewing mojo I haven't had for a while. This is just a teaser post really, as I haven't any photos of most of the stuff I've made. 

So first up is this Vogue basic design pattern I made last Saturday (as well as a skirt). It's a boxy, 2 piece pattern... I made D - in the cow pattern and headless red one. I made it out of a remnant piece of wool knit stuff that is in a mushroom colour. I have been trying to use this piece of fabric for about 5 years but it was not enough for anything. I'd played tetris with this pattern before but this time I made it work. If you can see, the pattern starts at a 14... I have the tiniest shoulders and this looks like I have my big sister's top on. It's comfy and warm though... I've worn it twice already. Goes so well with the skirt I made. No photo of the skirt yet though. 


The other thing I've nearly finished is a bodysuit! I can't believe I found this pattern at a sewing shop for $1. Three styles too... I used to wear a bodysuit in the 90's. I remember travelling on a motorcycle in the UK in 1992 wearing beautiful dark grey one. No tucking in and it kept your back warm. This was the trip where I started saying "the coldest winter I ever spent was summer in Scotland"! I've got style 3 together. I just need to put the snaps on, elastic around the legs and some binding. That's made out of a scrap of fabric bought for .50c from the fabric sale I go to.




These are the snaps. They are from the '80s when I did a short course on sewing lingerie. I'll find the unfinished (see snaps above) teddy thing to show you.... funny that's all I need to do on it... why didn't I ever finish it?? They need a wash but they've they've been kicking around for years :)




I also made another merino scarf for my niece. I got this gorgeous teal merino remnant from aforementioned fabric sale for $1 people!! It is really lovely but just not my colour. Nothing too complex here - cut it the width she wanted and then french seam the ends for an infinity scarf.  I think there is enough to make her another singlet top when I find the pattern I've made for it. I've also finished the dress I was finishing for her - just needs hemming but I dropped the pin that marked where she wanted it so I have to wait for her to come over. I'll finish that when she's here.


 I made an ivory coloured top from this pattern. Round neck version as the V neck isn't in the pattern envelope. It's a great simple pattern that fits me really well around the shoulders. This will go with a lot of things but I wore it with the polka dot (see previous post) New Look  6459 culottes. They fit perfectly after finally getting the waistband on, and I really love them but they have a sad story that I'll tell you next time. I've also made two Style Arc Halle Skirts and a skirt from some really special ruffle fabric (fabric sale again) that was a very quick make but no photos yet. It's rained all week and I've been home 4 days... most of that time not well enough to sew, but some was snuck in.

I've not only making fabric things, but food things too!


These are my corn fritters on a bed of rocket. I make these for breakfast and then we have them for lunch boxes.. if they last. I use corn meal instead of any flour (we aren't gluten intolerant, I just like it).

Then made some fantastic cinnamon buns. We love cinnamon buns. The recipe is from Minimalist Baker. I've used a few of her recipes and they are good. I haven't made these vegan as she has but everything she makes that I've tried is really good.



I also made gnocchi for the first time. It took about 10 minutes and was divine. Soft little pillows of ricotta, eggs and flour.


I made my standard tomato salsa (I use this for tomato soup base, Neapolitan sauce for pasta and added a bit of cream for this gnocchi. This is just fresh tomatoes, garlic and lots of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. If I don't have all fresh tomatoes (rare), I'll use canned, or if I only have a few fresh tomatoes I'll add a big dollop of tomato paste. To make it soup, I just add stock. This is our favourite soup.. takes 20 minutes and tastes sensational.


Tossed in some fresh basil leaves and a grating of Romano cheese and delicious. So the last couple of weeks have been very productive. I'll get photos of my finished sewing soon.  Oh, I nearly forgot the city surprise....


At my bus stop in town, I have seen this plaque for years but never looked at it closely. It's hard to read but it's called "Still Life with Reclining Bus Ticket". Have a closer look... there's the bus ticket reclining on the vase. The vase is resting on a Singer treadle sewing machine! It's a real reflection of Brisbane life... the Hills Hoist  (clothes line) through the window, with the Story Bridge in the background. A real city surprise!

(Thanks for reading this long, long post.)

Comments

katherine h said…
You really did find your mojo!

I made gnocchi this week too...I love it, but it takes me a lot longer than 10 minutes so we only have it for special. And cinnamon buns are in my radar for this week. I'll have to check out this recipe and compare it to mine.

Sounds like you had a great week! :)
Summer Flies said…
Oh pass on your recipes! The gnocchi one was a ricotta one from the My Kitchen Rules cookbook. My son like watching it together and he likes to cook too. I'd like to compare them. Also what do you put on your gnocchi?
Faye Lewis said…
Summer I didn't know that you are a "Sewing Gourmet" too! That gnocchi looks soooo good. I am grueling a little bit over your vintage patterns!
Patricia said…
Wow, such beautiful food, as well as a brilliant sewist. I really admire your sewing bravery - you will try anything, and usually it works out well. I mean, a bodysuit, wow, and I bet it fits really well. That plaque is adorable, I have never seen it in our city. So very Brisbane, and the Singer treadle is the biggest thing there :)
Janine said…
Wow , very productive. And some fantastic bargains as well. The gnocchi looks so good - much nicer than bought . You must be quick to only take 10 minutes.
Summer Flies said…
Oh what a lovely compliment! I find cooking is like sewing.. follow the instructions and then you go your own way too. I have lots of vintage patters... when I get it together I'll put them on Etsy. I find I make about half and half and they fit better too.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Trish. Yes I will try anything but often with a lot of procrastination first then I'll just give in and say to myself it's only fabric and I have so much of it. The bodysuit is so easy really. The plaque is in Adelaide St bus stop outside the David Jones centre. I've been catching the bus there for years and only noticed it myself a few weeks ago.... strange.
Summer Flies said…
Yes so unusual for me... the fact I have nothing to wear and cannot bear going to the shops is a big motivator. The bargains are so good too as there is not big investment if it goes wrong. That gnocchi recipe is quick... a few minutes to cook it and the sauce cooks down for a bit. I think the potato gnocchi takes longer. I'll try that next.
Vanessa said…
You've got so many great things going on...I am excited to see some of the makes you talked about. The teal merino is gorgeous! Also, all of your food looks delightful, especially the soup!!!!!!
Sarah Liz said…
I so admire people who enjoy cooking. I have to admit I do not! And you must be adventurous to have even considered motor bike riding in winter in Scotland. Amazing. Looking forward to seeing your next batch of makes, whether cooking or sewing.
katherine h said…
Hi Summer Flies,

Do you want to drop me an email and then I can pass on my recipes etc. Mine is katherine dot peter at bigpond dot com
McVal said…
I am between projects at the moment and I love those vintage patterns!! I haven't worn a body suit since middle school and haven't tucked anything into my pants since college... I'll pass on the body suit for now. ;)
Lisa said…
You've been busy and those look like they'll be great makes. And your dishes look delicious! :)
you know, I was seriously trying to decide whether to by teal merino or chocolate merino, either one at a much higher price than I ever pay for fabric. And I bought the chocolate. For a cardigan for travelling.

Anyway, I am envious of that $1 remnant!!! Very envious. Maybe a teal green with envy. Haha. Sorry, being silly here :-D

And the gnocci oh that sounds delicious. I've made it myself once but it was a long time ago. I should make some more soon. You've inspired me!
Summer Flies said…
Yeah I haven't finished the body suit yet... made a few different things that were a little more urgent... but I'll finish them and you can have a laugh!
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Sarah Liz... I do enjoy cooking and don't mind if muck something up to develop my skills... haha sounds like a master chef ad!
Summer Flies said…
Oh yeah I have too much on at the moment.. what do they say life if 'fluid' at the moment. Let me know if you try the soup... so good and so easy.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Lisa...appreciate the comment.
Summer Flies said…
Yes, I'm so lucky to get these remnants. I made my sister a scarf out of some olive/brown merino.. also $1 and it was 1.5 mts! Lucky for her it was not my colour! My niece loves her new teal scarf too... it is a luscious colour just not mine. Yes I've got a new recipe to try for gnocchi for this weekend. Yum my favourite.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit