Skip to main content

It's been a while - lots of sewing done

Wow, it's been a while and I've been sewing up a storm. Don't even know how to start. I've done sewing for me, my son and for some gifts. Sorry about the chopping all over the place in this post. I've so much to say and made so much but not many photos of being worn and so the rotten photos I have here or else it would never get done. There will be a 2nd catch up post because this one would be too long if I did everything.




Firstly the patterns I asked my friend to bring me back from the States. I know there are some very similar but I guess I was giving the list like I take to Spotlight expecting I won't get them. I did try to get these at the sale before this one but I didn't get one of these. I've got half the pattern paper cut out already and to tell the truth with 30 degrees in winter next week I'm going to use them earlier than I thought! I'm excited to have the sports bra pattern. I'm going to make a first one in lycra and the rashie for my aqua as it's getting warmer and it's hard to reach the top of my back for sunscreen and that's a must here.  I like the short rashie too as I'm so short waisted and big hipped that normal ones ride up so I'm hoping to get a three piece made for aqua soon.



This red merino cardi is from Simplicity 2560 which is a beaut pattern. This red merino was a piece from the merino bouquet my niece made for me for my birthday this year. It was just 1 metre and the length of the skirt and the length of the sleeves were determined by the cut of fabric. It is perfect. I LOVE it and I've had a lot of positive comments about it. It's one of my favourite things I've made. I did actually go to find some more fabric from The Fabric Store as I wanted to make one of the Kwik Sew 3977 (below) but there wasn't enough and I needed 1 metre to have enough but it must have been a different roll (there was only 1/2 roll left) and the colour was just ..just off but enough for me to notice. We all know no-one else would notice but that's all that I'd see. Anyway I was pleased to get this out of 1 metre and it's just what I wanted.


I have  a Brother 3240CV coverstitch that my niece picked up for me 2nd hand in Sydney a few years ago. I've used it once. With this limited use, I still wanted to use it, but I was afraid of it... but that didn't stop me thinking seriously that I needed the Janome one. Then I thought that was an idiotic idea... if I have one I just need to buckle down and use it and if I could use it and still didn't like it, then fair enough, but I hadn't given it a chance.  So I've made a tonne of knit things the last few months and the coverstitch has made it so quick and easy to hem and finish it's not funny. Now I'm not afraid of it and I don't feel the need to immediately get another brand. Maybe I will later when I am more experienced but right now, it hems perfectly and I really appreciate it. (Just for reference it was only $250 and I was getting my niece who doesn't sew to pick it up .. she asked them to run it bless her. It was pretty well used and a few little thread guide bits missing but it works). Incidentally when I was hemming the sleeve of the little red cardi, I didn't notice the 2nd needle thread had pulled out and it sewed a single line of stitching with a chain stitch underneath. I forgot you could do that so a practice without full knowledge of doing it. So in fact you could use just 2 threads for a great finish that is so quick. I'm really glad I've 'mastered' (hardly) the coverstitch as I have used it so much the last few months and it makes a great finish and is super easy and much easier to use and thread than the overlocker. If you do a lot of sewing, it's a great machine to have and really makes hemming knits a breeze and fast!


This is the first thing I finished with the coverstitch. A lovely raglan t-shirt, perfect for work made from a remnant from the fabric sale I go to.. it was .50 cents. I have another cut of this slightly more red colour and the bodysuit featured before (still not finished) is in an oily green colour. All .50 cents. Bargain!

And pattern for the top above. I know I cut an 8 to the underarms and 10-12 going down. Fits perfectly. Quick and easy to wear.



Last year I went to the Kitty d' Amour fabric sale and bought a few things, two of which were marked "wool". I pulled it out to sew up a few things as I like the colours. One is the aqua with a green lace overlay (the colours on my monitor are pretty accurate) and the other is a bit fleecy on the back and I wanted to make an unlined jacket or coat.  They aren't long cuts, 1.5 metres each and as you can see the labels, they weren't cheap but they were interesting colours and reasonably priced if it was wool and I thought I'd just do the burn test.


This is the one with the lace overlay with the overlay taken off. See how the fabric has melted and the 'fibres' have stretched like when you melt plastic. NOT WOOL! but synthetic. I was (am) really angry.


This burn test above is the raspberry boiled wool that I bought for $4 per metre at the fabric sale (already cut out ages ago for a Butterick Lisette waterfall coat but put to the back burner for more urgent things - maybe this week), the next one is another wool scrap from the black Kwik Sew I recently made for my niece and knew it was wool and the last two are the blue two above marked as "wool". It is really disappointing and I am so angry and so put off this brand.. although lets face it, I won't be buying clothes but I wouldn't go to their sale again and really feel like I want to return it.



Two bad photos of the Hollyburn skirt (well the skirt from the Lonsdale dress that is the Hollyburn skirt) that I made in an hour to wear to see The Ladies in Black. I used a purple synthetic silk lining (which isn't really apparent in these poor quality photos) and a net lace overlay fabric which was also a remnant from the fabric sale and $5 for a couple of metres. It was 4 seams each for skirt and lining, unhemmed and with an elastic waist. I made the top from an Ottobre pattern with beautiful heavy black satin from the same sale (remnant again about $1) and this is also what I wore to my Dad's funeral after Mum told me he loved black and purple together. That's the Burda coat I made about 9 years ago still going strong, and still getting compliments and looks of disbelief when I say I made it. It is a gorgeous satin fabric that has either the warp or weft threads (can't remember which) that are metal, about the gauge of steel wool.


This Kwik Sew 3977 on the left, I bought because my friend who brought the patterns for me, had a cardi like this on last year and it looked so good, so when I saw this pattern it was snatched up quickly. I've made three!, but none for me.


This is the third one I made for my sister who turned 50 today. Her favourite colour is purple and I picked this merino at The Fabric Store. It has a little square pattern in it. It's a beautiful colour and my sister loves it which made me very happy. I also made her a great hazelnut cake with chocolate icing.


This is the first one I made. Black merino for Mum as she's in mourning and wearing black. I also picked this up at The Fabric Store on sale for only $10 a metre - what a bargain! It's hard to see the waterfall of the fabric in the black but it's there and just like the pattern envelope. I also made one for same friend previously mentioned as she was 50 earlier in the year and I wanted to make her something too. She tried it on and loved it and I was so happy. She told me she loved her other one but she'd tossed it because it had pilled. Hers is in a gorgeous light royal blue colour with a light pale stripe through it at about a 5cm interval. It's a gorgeous weight and it's perfect for her. I did want to get some orange that I saw there a few months ago but when I went back they had sold out, but in actual fact this one is a heavier weight and better for where they live - plus bonus.. it will never pill. It will come out of the washing machine looking like new. Merino is expensive and I'm a tight ass  thrift person, but merino is worth every cent and SO easy to sew and look after.


Incidentally, I tried them on and it's so long on me I think I have to shorten it a bit. Plus I need some merino for me. This is a fantastic pattern. It takes one hour max to make and it looks terrific. If you see this and like that waterfall look it's perfect. Another plus for merino, it cuts so cleanly the raw edge is gorgeous.


Finally for tonight, this is the current Ottobre pattern sheet. I love that funnel neck jacket and have some emerald green wool I'd like to make this from as my old red jacket has definitely seen better days. Two things with this is that you only need one wool coat for years in Brisbane, and as it's been so warm here there's a question whether I need it or not. Well, I guess you need one good wool lined coat don't you... just don't hold your breath to see it. Next up I'll show you bad photos of about another 8-10 things I've made. Thanks for reading this far if you have 😀.

Comments

Janine said…
Great to see you back ! I would be cross about the wool too - it wasn't cheap to turn out to be synthetic. Great kwik sew cardys , you will have to make one for you when it cools down . I have only sewn with merino once and it never pilled at all even after many years , just got little holes in it.
Patricia said…
What a great post! I enjoyed it all, and taken note of a pattern I like. You have been so busy, I am in awe. Those waterfall cardis are beautiful, and what a lovely gift for your family.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Janine, yes I did forget that. The raglan long sleeve t-shirts I made for my son 4 years ago are good as new but a few tiny holes. And I will have to get some merino for me!
Summer Flies said…
Oh thanks Patricia! That is one great pattern.. so quick easy and a lot of bang for your buck! Plus people get so impressed.
McVal said…
Wow! You've been BUSY! I am loving that Burda turtle neck pattern. I need to track that one down for me...
Vanessa said…
What a great post! Glad to see you back! I love your pattern haul! In fact, I picked up S8262 too! Everything you made is so nice. Love the Hollyburn and cardigans for family. I am secretly drooling over your coverstitch machine, and am so glad you got it up and running to your liking. The raglan shirt looks well done. Lastly, OTTOBRE...I heart Ottobre!
Summer Flies said…
Thanks. Actually that's an Ottobre so you should still be able to get it. It's nice isn't it!
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Vanessa. I'm looking forward to making that dress. If you can get a 2nd hand coverstitch it makes it affordable. Yeah I love the Ottobre too.. just the tracing puts me off.
colesworth said…
Some great garments here - looking forward to seeing your orange togs! It was great to catch up last week ;o)
Summer Flies said…
Thanks. Yes it was a fun catch up particularly as I couldn't go to Frocktails :( I tested the rashie on Sunday unhemmed even, and it's a winner.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit