Skip to main content

Lekala S4006

I saw Thornberry's S4006 ages ago and really liked it. A simple shift dress but with enough little features to make it interesting, plus it was free and I thought a great test of the Lekala. Lara has the details about Lekala in her post if you are not familiar with them.

I used a fabric that is a ramie or cotton or linen mix. It is years old and was just green and white but a pretty ordinary green so I dyed it with an aqua that isn't very visible here due to such bad photos but it didn't turn out as vibrant as I thought so it was a good fabric to test the pattern as I could still wear it as a house dress. You can't see it here but the hem is a faced curved hem and I lined it with a tiny orange gingham and I used the orange theme to topstitch around the sleeve hems and around the neckline.


What I like: it was perfectly drafted and the pieces fit really well together. The sleeve is a great shape and the bust darts were in the right position.

What I don't like: it is way too big. I ordered it with seam allowances and maybe I'll try again eliminating the seam allowances and see for fit. It is too long. This below the knee length is matronly. I don't like it on anyone... it throws the proportions off and makes you look dumpy and short. It's too wide in the hips - I was hoping I could use this draft as a kind of block but no, won't work as is.
Obviously my measuring is out. Lara got a really great fit so it's got to be me... it's hard measuring yourself for some parts. I have very small shoulders and back (probably a size 6) so it's hard to accurately measure my shoulders at the back.


The sleeve went in perfectly and pretty easily for a set in sleeve. The fabric has some mechanical stretch due to the semi loose weave. Darts are probably a bit low now I look, but that could be the the overall dress is too big. Hate to say it but the colours are pretty accurate if not a little lighter here. Still not what I was going for.


 I made the yoke burrito style and cut the outside one on the bias for visual interest. It should have a little dart in the back centre but I forgot and I think the bias helped me stretch it to fit... oops. I still like this style but I will need a measuring partner to get my measurements accurate for future use. I really would like to try Lekala again as I hate making so many fitting changes to patterns. So a fail - but good experience and a pretty quick sew too. You keen for Lekala?

Comments

Fiona V said…
I've used Lekala a few times now and intend to use more in the future. In my experience the patterns go together nicely, the notches match up and the fit for most items has been spot on - darts in the right place, princess seams fitting beautifully, collars sitting nicely. They're brilliant for me - I don't have to go to the effort of doing a full bust adjustment. But I've learnt the hard way that it's a good idea to do a quick measure of the pattern before cutting out. (Thinking back I have even told people that the patterns are a good starting point but may require fine tuning!) I made my daughter blouse 9567, the fit was brilliant everywhere but the sleeves, which were too tight (despite having the bicep measurement as an adjustment)- the armscye was the right size and fortunately I had extra fabric so was able to do a quick adjustment. I then made a few different tops for me without issue. When the daughter asked for blouse 5958 I confidently took my scissors to her Liberty Lawn and assembled the body of the shirt - she tried it on.... the fronts would barely meet let alone overlap... Fortunately the fabric has a very busy pattern so you don't notice the gussets I had to insert down the side seams. That done, the shirt fits perfectly, right shoulder width, princess seams in the right place... a couple of minutes with a tape measure before I started sewing would have saved me a lot of frustration!
Patricia said…
I have never braved a Lekala but am interested to see them. Your fabric looks lovely and cool and I really like the orange check trim, and your yoke on the bias. It does look too big, but could you not run it in down the sides and re-insert the sleeves? You put a lot of work into the pretty hem, but you could just cut off and make the dress shorter. Your sewing as always is beautifully neat. Happy New Year!
Summer Flies said…
Oh yes that is good advice Fiona and something I need to remember. I actually found the measurements I used after I wrote the post and on glance they look fine but I'll remeasure and see where I went wrong. Your experience shows it doesn't matter if one fits the next one may not!
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Patricia. Yes I may fix it up to have as a house dress and I may just skip the sleeves to keep it cooler and at least use it. Good idea.
Vanessa said…
I didn't have the best experience with a Lekala pattern, but I have heard of people living them! I don't like making loads of adjustments to a pattern either. It is a pretty color on you, but it does look a little big.
You're definitely on the right track with the dress. Once you have it (or the next version) fitted better you'll have a real workhorse pattern I reckon. And a really nice practical style for your climate.
*bemused* I just sounded like my mother. 'Nice practical style'
I really meant 'a nice, practical style' Such a difference a comma makes!
McVal said…
I've never tried Lekala, but am keen to try it out some time!

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit