Skip to main content

Gingham skirt

Well I have finally got a chance to take a photo of the gingham skirt that I first talked of making 10 December  2017. I did make it but since, life has been a whirlwind! We had Christmas and all that it entails, my son's Dad went to the UK for 7 weeks where he had to help his elderly parents and just got back on Tuesday. This has curtailed any of everything other than the rat wheel of work, wash, iron, cook, make lunch, some exercise and then wake up and do it all again. I'm tired.

Anyway, this isn't a pity party blog, onto the sewing.


This is the pattern and the fabric again. Cotton 1.5cm check gingham bought at the second hand shop a few years ago for a few bucks. It's a polished cotton and it has a lovely hand... like a rayon but without that slipperiness or that swishyness but does have good drape. 


This is my inspiration skirt. Pretty simple and it cost originally about US$500 and I think when I saw it it was US$300 reduced. What a bargain!




Here's my skirt. I love the colour and size of the gingham so much more. It's not as long looking on me because: short and dumpy but it is what it is. Mine is all cut on the bias. It nearly ruined me getting it on that 1.5m square piece of wonky fabric. New Look recommend 2.2 mt so I did well but it took some piecing - the back piece is full and the front piece has a tiny piece up near the waistband and side seam but the front piece under the top layer is pieced with 2 pieces but no one can see it because I did a great job piecing! Great little top my sister gave me from the op shop... cute little flowers on the front.

Yes great work bathroom photos. If I go into the shower room it has a full length mirror with good lighting. Plus it's private... I've tried getting photos in the lift but that is so difficult with so many people in and out, plus I'm on a lower floor so even if I'm in the lift alone, I can't get a good photo quickly enough.

I've also made new togs because I thought I'd lost my speedos and of course I found them the day I finished my new togs. I've also made another really easy swing dress, a Burda dress that I love and I haven't got photos of the Burda dress I made for Christmas. Maybe other things?? I can't remember. Plus all this no time for anything I will spend this first free weekend in 8 weeks clearing up the house and finding the floorboards again. I have two leather purses I have to make for birthday gifts too. Fun!

Oh I also just want to note, I cannot write comments on a lot of blogs ... seems like it's a google thing, but I can make comments on some but not other blogs so I'm trying but I can't work it out and it was low on the list of things to fix. But know I'm thinking about what you are sewing and doing too.

Comments

Patricia said…
What a great skirt! The checks are so trendy and you did a fantastic job of joining and matching. Blogger is a strange beast - some friends can comment on my blog sometimes, and not other times. I sure can't figure it out :)
Claire said…
Your skirt looks great! Really cute, and looks like a great fit. I love the gingham on the bias.
Vanessa said…
Your gingham skirt looks good! I can definitely see the essence of the inspiration photo. Btw, I love coffee too, but drink decaf because I am caffeine sensitive (it keeps me WIDE awake too, lol).
Janine said…
Your gingham skirt came out beaut. Your checked dress fabric looks nice too but a pity it didn't turn out as expected. At the sewing group I go to I have convinced myself that fitting is almost impossible to do alone. Hooe you are having some peaceful time to yourself this weekend.
Love your skirt, so much, that I went straight to the internet to search for the pattern, Finally found one on ebay. Ordered it, and it's on its way to me.lol Can't wait for it to get here.. I have check fabric already.. thanks for sharing.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Judy, that's a great compliment ... I found that pattern at the op shop so it was a bargain. If you notice too the inspiration skirt is cut in 2 pieces with a seam in the back. I'll look out for your skirt now too.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Janine, I still look at that and can't think why it turned out so big. I found the measurements I put into the Lekala site and they are correct??? Maybe it's the fabric... a linen/cotton I think so maybe it stretched out. Maybe a hot wash will shrink it! Fitting is impossible to do alone I agree.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks, yes I only have one nice coffee a day and that's enough. It also keeps me awake.
colesworth said…
I love that purple gingham! Do you think you can come to high tea this year? I just cut out my dress on the weekend as I will get busy over school hols and easter. Also I have to go off to a wedding the same afternoon, so my dress has to do double duty ;o)
Summer Flies said…
Thanks. Yes I'm coming - bought my ticket already. I haven't thought of a dress yet. Oh the pressure of double duty! Hope it's late afternoon so we see you lots!
Summer Flies said…
Thank you - I love the bias too that's why this was such a great pattern.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Patricia, the checks are trendy which is not something I really think about but with it out in the shops, it reminded me I had some in stash. Look at me in fashion! Are you going to the High Tea again?
McVal said…
I do hope you were being sarcastic on $300 being a bargain!... I love your version of the skirt! Too cute!
Summer Flies said…
Oh, no I'm loaded... ha ha ha... yeah, I wish. Thanks!
Lovenicky said…
I like the bias gingham skirt! I'm always scared of wearing gingham in case I look like I'm in a country costume. But yours is very nice and not costume-y at all!

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit