Skip to main content

New rashie and a gift


I've made a new rashie set again from McCall's 7417. Usually I've made the shorter rashie twice before and I add a band (I'm short waisted so it fits to my waist like this). I wasn't paying any notice and realised I cut the long one and then only had enough fabric for the shorter pants. I have just scraps left now... maybe enough for a kiddy bikini triangle top but not pants. I bought a metre of this fabric from East Coast Fabrics for $15. It's  a lovely lycra and one of the heavier ones. I bought two more at the same time (July school holidays) but they are a thinner lycra so I'll see how that sews up soon enough.


 You can just see the seam lines above. I have some mint coloured lycra and thought I'd make some 'piping' but in the end I didn't have enough time. My last spotty rashie (did I even show that one? or take a photo of it even? Now it's faded and nearly dead). I always put bands on the sleeves and on the waist of the shorter one but the hem on this one was just done on the coverstitch.


I put a band on the pants too. Just sewed up with zig zag and as I couldn't find my rubber elastic I just used some I got at Aldi. The key to the elastic if it's the covered stuff, is that it shouldn't narrow when you stretch it. This was nice quality and the right width. 


When I cut the band, I put elastic in the middle of the band and sew it on, then fold the band and sew it on the pants (with the overlocker) with the zig zag stitch facing the inside. This keeps the waist band firm and secure. I made the size medium and the top is a bit wide at the hips (that's new!) and the pants are also not as firm fitting as I'd like but they are good overall. I do admit that I feel like I'm wearing pyjamas due to the print/colour but I do like the set a lot... perfect for aqua aerobics with a sports bra on. Also I get sick of trying to put the sunscreen on my back!


I also made up a little zip purse for a friend's sister. This was promised 12 months ago. This narrow piece was leftover from a cushion cover said friend asked me to make for her sister for Christmas last year. This scrap was left over and I said I'd make something up with the scrap. I was looking for something else (still not found - leather prepped for a gift for another friend) and I found this so whipped it up.


It's not perfect as the fabric was so twisted up and skewed (the whole piece my friend bought was printed off grain - I would have returned it... well, I probably wouldn't have bought it actually - due to skew and I'm not a Dr Who fan).


The lining is from a dress I made about 10 years ago and the last tiny scrap made a secret surprise pocket! I know my friend's sister will love this even though it's not perfect.I've got some Christmas things I'd like to make but not sure how much I'll get done. Anyone doing Christmas sewing? What are you making?

Comments

How sun protective are the lycras? I wish I had one but I know I swim or would need it so rarely it would just die in between the first wear and the second. sigh.
Summerflies said…
Not sure. I put sunscreen on under anyway. They are not SPF rated... just for looks me thinks. You can buy SPF lycra but not easily.
colesworth said…
Great swim set. I bought this rashie pattern in a recent spotlight sale but I won't have time to get to it before xmas - too many other things started to finish off!!
Summerflies said…
Yes, so much to do. It's a good pattern actually. I forgot to say I fully line the pants.
Vanessa said…
The swim set is really cute!!! For Christmas, I am sewing a zippered infinity scarf! I saw a tutorial on P4P's site, and it is adorable. Somehow the thought of stashing goodies in my scarf is appealing!
Summerflies said…
Oh yes my niece told me about these a while ago - perfect for travelling and stashing valuables inconspicuously. I'm going to look that tutorial up to make her one (even though she won't need it for a while!)
McVal said…
What a great bag! I know a few people around here that would love that for Christmas...

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit