Skip to main content

What does Geoffrey Rush have to do with pavlova?


Photo from http://teaforsix.com here a lovely blog.
(This isn't mine but mine looks so similar but add mango, banana and passionfruit to the kiwi fruit and blueberries with raspberries if Alex hasn't eaten them yet).

At Christmas time, I wanted to make a pavlova for our dessert. We have some celiac relatives and I figured this was the easiest option, it's also cool and refreshing and with our fabulous fruits in season, a real winner. When I looked for a recipe, it came up with this Martha Stewart recipe - "courtesy of Geoffrey Rush"!

The clip is no longer available (and I have looked) but it seems to be about 8 years ago and apparently it is a recipe that his Grandmother used to make. Well I made it too and it's fabulous. I had only ever made one pavlova before and it wasn't great. I was always a bit fearful of making them, but it's really easy. It's a great dessert because it is quick - takes about 10 minutes to whip up and then only 1 hour in the oven and leave it in there to cool completely. It's also made with pretty basic things you always have on hand (or me at least) - sugar, vinegar, egg whites and corn flour, plus cream and fruit.

Of course I don't have a photo of any I made during this period. I made 2 to take to Christmas lunch, one to take to a friend's birthday dinner, one to the baby shower with quilt and another one for the Christmas bbq we had when Alex came back from the U.K. That's a lot of pavlovas in just 5 weeks! They all went down a treat. I must say I am not a fan of the commercial ones that are full of marshmallow type fluff...I'm not an egg fan so this reminds me of raw egg. I prefer my pavlova to be crunchy so I make mine about 2.5cm high which then rises a little. I also make it in a rectangle shape to the size of a large Tupperware container I have for transportation and airtightedness (ha what a word). I usually whip the cream with no icing sugar as I find the pavlova sweet enough but always put in some real vanilla bean (the pavlova too). I take a selection of cut up fruits and let people put their own cream and fruit to cater to the usual fusiness personal preferences.

Anyway, the recipe. I've just copied and pasted it here but really most pavlova recipes I've checked since seem to be very, very similar. Have a go for summer... it's easy and it impresses! Let me know if you try this or are adept at making pavlovas.


INGREDIENTS

  • 4 large egg whites, room temperature 
  • Pinch of salt 
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch 
  • 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar 
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
  • 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, whipped 
  • Fruit - these are the fruits I like, add whatever you like:
  • Passion fruit
  • Bananas
  • Mixed berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
  • Mango
  • DIRECTIONS

    1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.  Trace the perimeter of a 15cm bowl onto a sheet of parchment paper. Transfer parchment paper, pencil side down, to a baking sheet. Set aside. (when I make mine, I trace around the rectangle baking tray I like to use. )
    2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and salt together until glossy peaks form. With mixer running, add sugar in three additions, beating until meringue is stiff and glossy. Sprinkle in cornstarch, vinegar, and vanilla; gently fold to combine.
    3. Mound the meringue in the center of the 15cm circle (I  don't make it very high so it gets to about 5cm high so it stays pretty crunch!)v Using a spatula, evenly spread meringue out towards the edges. Transfer baking sheet to oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 120 degrees celsius. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    4. Turn off oven and let meringue cool completely in oven. When meringue is cool and completely dry, top with whipped cream and desired fruits.

      5. Eat!


Comments

Unknown said…
I do like a good 'pav'. I've only ever made a couple, but I've cheated on both occasions and used 'Pavlova Magic'. One day I might make one from scratch :)
Summer Flies said…
You know Vanessa, pavlova magic is just dried egg white and the 'magic' is the egg shaped container that is the exact measuring sizes for the sugar and water to reconstitute the egg whites. That was my first pavlova because I thought there was magic in it... when I realised I'd just paid $4.50 for 4 egg whites, I found the recipe above and it worked so perfectly I won't go back. Have a go .. I bet you'll be as surprised as I was at how easy it is.

Popular posts from this blog

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit