Skip to main content

Holiday fabric

So onto the fabric....I really wanted to go the Clear It but didn't have time and with Alex sick, we just had some rest days. It's in a great food area too which would appease Alex so easily. Not a big problem as I don't need any more fabric (I should just stop saying it or buying it), but you have to look don't you. When we did have time on the last day, I repaid Alex his good nature and we went to the old Melbourne Goal, which was terrific. All my fabrics are from Darn Cheap Fabrics at Glen Huntly, the shop I went to last time. Nearly all of these were either remnants or off the $2 table. 


The coral fabric is a lightweight linen/cotton perfect for a little summer shirt and the cat fabric is for t-shirts for Alex. That's the only full price fabric (at $6.95 per metre it's still cheap). He loves cats and I can use this with other colour blocking.


The colours are a bit off here... the one on the left is a bit more aqua than baby blue an a lovely linen look cotton. I thought it would probably be one of those wash and heavy crinkle fabrics but that's how it looks after washing it two weeks ago and sitting in the laundry basket for that long and if feels terrific still so great value at $2 a metre.  The pineapples fabric is a synthetic but I loved the colour and the aqua matches perfectly with the cotton next to it. It's a bit more limey yellow than just plain yellow but I really loved it.


The floral is also a synthetic, which I rarely buy but it was a big piece as a cheap remnant and it is such a happy print it wouldn't be left. The next one is a deep coral/watermelon linen... holy smokes $2 per metre could you leave it? The next piece is a cotton chino type fabric. I'd been looking for this type of fabric and just never came across it but again bargain as a remnant. The last red piece is again a synthetic, remnant and quite a big piece for little money. It's like a synthetic silk as it has a beautiful sheen and the colour is amazing! It may end up being a lining but that's ok and I don't have a good stock of nice linings.


This it a remnant again... its got sparkles through it and is only a two way stretch knit. I've got it ready to cut out a little cardi to try out a pattern. I really like it though and it seems like a mostly cotton which is nice.

There was a large remnant of a black wooly fabric and it was quite cheap andr the burn test at home confirmed it was wool and the same wool that I have in two other colours already. Problem is now it is just not cold here. This week will go up to 28 degrees celsius! Goodness it's winter people and we'll  be able to go to the beach!! Although I've had lots of winter things planned, is it worth it to spend valuable sewing time on stuff I won't get much wear out of.

 Oops I also just remembered I don't think I've documented the fabrics I bought from Kitten d'Amour fabric sale and I wanted to make a Butterick 6244 coat out of some nice wool I got there. I asked my friend who lives in the US and coming home to get me a couple of patterns that I couldn't get here and that's one of them. I'll get that next week I think.

I've also got a 40th birthday (fancy restaurant) dinner in a couple of weeks with a '70's/'80's theme so I would like to make something but time may let me down. I am so tired at night with my brain being drained in the new job, I don't trust myself to cut things out.... been there, ruined that before.



This is Alex enjoying some of the fabulous food and hot chocolate we had a a great cafe near the Air BNB we stayed in. He's not enjoying much!


I saw this in a shop and absolutely couldn't stop laughing hysterically.... I think it's more funny if you think of someone who fits the bill. 

Comments

Sarah Liz said…
I think you were quite restrained with your fabric purchasing. Some nice little finds - the cats are gorgeous - and if the weather is going to be warm again, the pineapples may be made up sooner rather than later!
Summer Flies said…
Thanks for that Sarah Liz... a good sewing/fabric friend always says you were restrained with fabric purchases! The cats are so nice, I'm even hoping there's enough for a t-shirt for me. I love the pineapples even though I am a little sallow in the skin colour and see this in a top... but I don't care....
katherine h said…
Looks like you got some great bargains...especially the linens.
Summer Flies said…
I know, those linens are perfect and $2 per metre. The girl who served me said the week before they had a lilac and orange I think... lucky or I would have come home with more LOL!
Pineapples! I think you like pineapples :-D
Summer Flies said…
Yes, it seems I have a problem!
You might! And I might have a problem with butterflies. Perhaps we need to form a support group? ;-D
McVal said…
$2 per meter are too good to pass up!!! Although I have no room in my stash for any more fabric... Oh who am I kidding? That wouldn't stop me!
Summer Flies said…
Yes and I think these problems need discussions over coffee and cake or bubbles somewhere with a pool or white sandy beach! (suitable for both pineapples and butterflies)
Summer Flies said…
Ha ha yeah that's what I say and yet there I go buying more fabric!! But $2.... when I kick this cold I'll try and make some stuff at night. Yawn
Kyle said…
I love how you talk about fabric like they were stray puppies "couldn't leave it behind". :)

"Been there ruined that before" ha ha ha ha!!
Summer Flies said…
Oh yes Kyle... it just wouldn't be right to leave that stray puppy, I mean fabric behind!!

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit