Skip to main content

Melbourne holidays and fabric buying.

While those who can try to leave the southern states in the winter for the warmer climes of Queensland, during the recent school holidays we went to Melbourne. I was lucky that I could get time off (without pay) from my new employer for the school holidays and so I decided my first pay packet in 13 years would be spent wisely on the things I love... being with my son, travel and fabric!

Years ago I had a boyfriend from Melbourne so went down firstly to meet his family and then years later I  worked for a travel company that is based in Melbourne and we would go down for training and managers meetings at least twice a year for 6 years and since then, have been going regularly at least once a year. I loved Melbourne from the first time I went down.. the food, the shopping, the comedy, the arts, the theatre and most importantly the very different nature of the people. Of course I didn't just limit myself to Melbourne but visited many top areas in the surrounds too. 

So off we went. We had a terrific Air BNB for the first couple of days out of the city and then moved into town into a terrific apartment opposite Southbank, then we had a last night in another apartment hotel. 



My son kept photo bombing the photos I was trying to take of the cake shops in St Kilda. Of course we had some of those terrific cakes although we were good and had it instead of dinner. Plus gelato... that's our holiday treat always... looking for great ice cream. Lots of great eating in Melbourne.


Evidence of the (mostly) beautiful, but very cold days we had in Melbourne while we were there. Alex is wearing the grey stripe merino top I made a couple of years ago under the new grey hoodie I made.


I was thrilled to remember that the 200 Years of Australian Fashion was on at the National Gallery of Victoria. (Although I did forget to see the Warhol exhibition in the other building... doh!) Alex did get a bit sick and when I said we were going to this, he was less than thrilled, but after walking ahead (of course I'm looking at the details on everything so was slow) he raced back and said, "actually Mum, it's pretty good!". That's my boy!



This dress was in the '70's section. I have some silver lurex fabric... maybe a lurex shirtdress is in my future. I do have a '70's 40th dinner in a couple of weeks??






I love this combo above. The pink and red jacket and the spot skirt. I'd like to copy this in some form soon. I also loved how the different light colours gave it a different look and how it reflected under the hat.


I also loved this large print rose dress and the curved hem.


I love this outfit. I took this photo to copy that as well, but not sure how my 158cm frame would actually carry this off.


This dress coat above is actually one piece, including the hat! (obviously not the sleeves. It was so clever and the back had very detailed open louvre look. It is made from wool and from memory it was a Wool Board completion winner.


This was just so fun, but I thought I couldn't bear it having to put all this sequins and feathers on that fabric.



Alex had to see a doctor while we were there and this old Chinese doctor had the most disarming surgery. The bed had a colourful canopy over it and the patient chair was a huge cane number, reminiscent of Morticia Adams of The Adams Family, painted pink. He was also a terrific doctor, him and his surgery put you at ease immediately so we were very lucky to stumble upon him.


Although Alex was not feeling well at all, we had a short day out going to Rippon Lea Estate and Gardens to see the exhibition of the costumes from the film The Dressmaker. We had a lovely morning tea there and then walked through the exhibition. It was such a shame not to be able to go through the gardens too but it was bitterly cold and Alex was really pushing himself. Alex was again very patient but really not well so I rushed it a bit but it was still lovely to see the costumes. There was small films about how the costume department made the clothes for Judy Davis' character appear so old and dirty which I found terrifically interesting, with  tools of the trade for doing this on display.





Is now the time to say I haven't seen the film yet? I live 10 minute walk to two different cinemas and somehow missed seeing it on the big screen. It's on the list. Of course Marion Boyce is the designer and she's the same designer for Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries currently at Old Government House in Brisbane.


On the last night we moved to an apartment hotel across the road from the Immigration Museum and there was groans when I suggested we go to investigate it. It is a terrific building firstly but a great exhibition and with nearly 70% of us descendant from overseas, it is very relevant to a lot of us. In the end I had to drag him away  so we could go to other places but we did spend 2 1/2 hours there.


This shop goes about this length again behind, past the large round thing on the ceiling. It was huge.


I'll leave you with the photo bombing of a lovely cake and coffee shop (so much more than that) in Lygon Street,  a great mostly Italian restaurant strip, just around the corner from where my Melbourne office was... that was lucky!

Because this post is long enough I'll put my fabric purchases on the next post. 

Comments

katherine h said…
Sounds like a fantastic holiday! I would love to get to see some of those exhibitions
Summer Flies said…
I was so excited that they were both still on!
kbenco said…
It looks like so much fun. I just came back from Melbourne with NO FABRIC, this was so sad, but I was there for work, alas. I did sneak in to the 200 years of fashion though. I loved it. I am so jealous that you have a fabric to show us. Hope that Alex is all better now
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Karen...he's much better. I'm so glad you got to see the exhibition especially seeing you couldn't get any fabric. It was so terrific.
Kyle said…
Sounds like a fab trip, though sorry that Alex was sick for part of it. That is a wacky looking room for a doctor's office!
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Kyle.It was so fun and Alex was a real trooper. Yes it is a bit wacky but it really disarmed you and made you so comfortable. The doctor had such a lovely nature and a real calming style. He really got us straight away.
McVal said…
How fun is that??!! And so nice that your son didn't cause a fuss for you to check out all the fabric and exhibitions! Mine would have stayed in the car and complained I was taking too long...
Sarah Liz said…
What a great trip - I agree, Melbourne is a top spot, for all the reasons you have cited. Fantastic exhibitions, but sorry to hear your son was not well. Sounds as though he has a very good nature. can't wait to see the fabrics purchased - and would love to know where they came from.
Summer Flies said…
Oh I get that too, but because there was treats (hot chocolate and cake) after he was very compliant. He wasn't so accomodating at the fabric shop!
Summer Flies said…
It was Sarah Liz. Alex has a lovely nature and really has taught me so much with his just plain kind and non judgemental nature. I'll post my fabrics tonight I hope.
Evelyn C said…
I love your picture of the umbrellas up on the ceiling.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit