Skip to main content

No time...but more fabric.

Wow.. I've been so busy with uni (with extra sessions), catching up with appointments for me and my son that I am so behind in my assignments and household duties (yawn). I'm not hyper tidy or neurotic about it but I can't relax or concentrate on stuff if the house is messy so I need to get it sorted before I set out to work.

This weekend I have my son with his two nephews over. Lots of WII playing and trampolining. Mostly they play great together and I try and stay out of it...they are 7,8 and 9 and they need to work things out for themselves at times.

Onto more interesting things:

I bought this at The Fabric Store a couple of months ago at their sale. It is a merino wool knit with some texture - I really love the colour and it feels like it will be super easy to sew. I might make another of the Burda top I made a few weeks back out of it. Unfortunately (well fortunately for me because I love the heat), it has become very spring like in Brisbane (reaching 27deg celsius) it may be too warm for this top now. However wool is nice to wear (they came out with "summer wool" years ago as it's a great natural fibre) so it might be fine with no jacket.


In more fabric news (because I needed more!) my girlfriend/neighbour went to Vietnam recently and brought me back some beautiful silk, of colours I just adore, and 2 1/2 metres. I will make a test dress first because I don't want to ruin this, rather I want the dress to fit and be flattering. Isn't it beautiful. I've included a photo of the bag as you can buy the silk online (not this one, tho) and it looks fantastically good value. So now off to do my uni work and finish the washing!

Comments

Nikki said…
Ooh, that silk is beautiful! I love the colours.
Anonymous said…
Oh! I have the same same same turquoise merino. It's so very fine, I'm going to try it for summer wear.. I mean, after all, in the 30's wool was regularly used for summer wear and sports, so maybe it will work, right?

Have we met? I'm in Brisbane, too.
Summer Flies said…
Hi Steph, no we haven't met yet... I have noticed many Brisbane bloggers in the last 4 or 5 months (You I'd noticed ages ago) - maybe we should do a meet up some time too. When I finish this semester in November, I might just organise one - why should the NY'ers and Melbournites have all the fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...