Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Top and bottom.


Finally I finished the Burda trousers I started way back at the beginning of December (link for for the original post), probably started late November even. I only had to overlock the seams, take in the back seam about 2 cm for my sway back and put the waistband on. As I said it was way too hot to even put these trousers on till now to fit that back seam. Even today was 27 degrees but in that cool, overcast way but I'm still wearing a sleeveless top (the one I made yesterday... up next).  Sorry about the dark, terrible photos. I went to the park with my son after school then promptly forgot to get him to take some photos... that's ok, if your son can't stop talking to you, photos come last!


This photo actually really shocked me as I know my right shoulder drops but I didn't realise just by how much! You can see my hips are relatively level - my hands are in my (terrific deep) pockets though and it's a funny angle but I am crooked! Those wrinkles in the pants aren't there when I don't have my hands in my pockets and when I haven't run around in them all day.


This is the front of the pants. You can just see the little pleats in the front there. I extended the waistband because I wanted this offset the closure because I didn't want to put the belt tabs on. I used some silver jeans snaps - just Birch ones from Spotlight a few years ago. I love these pants. Other than taking in the top 4 cm of the back middle seam a couple of cm I didn't change these at all. The legs are a perfect width and as "skinny" as I like. They are the perfect width all the way down for me. 
The fabric was a piece of fabric I got at the fabric sale I go to.


This is the fabric ... yep, .50cents! It's a great olive green and it goes with so much! It is crinkled but is a cotton.. it feels like it has metal threads through it. When I washed it, it crinkled even more than this but seems to straighten a bit when warmed up with wearing.


 When I was cutting the pants, I just couldn't get them out without that chunk you see in the photo above getting in the way. So I just cut a piece and stitched it together and made it a 'feature'.

 

There was also one little tiny chunk just out of the hemline, so a little label there and Bob's my pants!


This is my new top too. I got the fabric as a small piece from the Brisbane Spoolettes... a beautiful, buttery rayon and the pattern was a score from there too. 


I made the size 8 to the high bust and then out to a 14 from there. It's a Simplicity "Learn to Sew" pattern. It's a great pattern even if you already know how to sew.


I took 3 cm from the strap part of the front and I meant to take a little dart in the arm hole but from my bedroom to the sewing room I completely forgot, so the armhole gapes a tiny bit.  In this photo you see the gape but also the hemline which is lovely and a little bit longer at the back. THere's a lot going on in the fabric.


In this photo you see that the welt pockets gape and look like little spy eyes  - this happened because I tried being clever and I used the pattern instructions and then I tried to use some other tutorial but they did different things in different order and I think I missed a bit of inside under-stitching. I think I'll put a buttonhole and button to keep them closed. Ha.. as if... I'll move onto the next thing of course! (but I will learn my lesson and stick to one method). It's amazing that when you use fabric that is .50 cents you just do the steps and make welts... no stress. I have to say these are the 2nd set of welt pockets I've done.. the last ones about 30 years ago. Not avoiding them, they just never came up again.


So, my new outfit. I love it. It will be very useful in this mid season that should last about 2 days!


Pants pattern reminder. I think I made the straight 14. Easy

 This is the top pattern  - two different looks with really good sizing.


These are the great instructions for beginners. They give lots of tips for newbies and even very useful tips for sewing with sheer fabrics.

SO... I love my new top and pants and I will be making more soon. What do you think?

Next up...onto finishing my niece's kimono dressing gown... from pineapple fabric.

8 comments:

  1. That is the cutest pattern-I am always surprised to find such gems in the "easy" offerings. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun top! And good job on the pants. You can't go wrong with next to free fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I like the peeping welt! Anyway, most of the time you will be wearing a top over the trousers. I remember you starting these - and the fabric, which is gorgeous - got to love crinkly cotton, no ironing! And the price is just right - as you say, it is much less stressful to sew with a cheap fabric that also looks good. The top is nice too. I have one shoulder lower than the other too - I try to be aware of it, so that I don't develop the lean further - and I stretch a lot now, which helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was the fabric I donated, I'm so glad to see it used already. You've made good use of the print too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wondered who donated it. It is lovely and soft and it was just enough for this top. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  5. Just a great outfit for our weird and wonderful weather at the moment! I too, like the peeping welt ~ and we all have wonky body parts ... that's why we sew ... J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing what you think.