Skip to main content

Top and bottom.


Finally I finished the Burda trousers I started way back at the beginning of December (link for for the original post), probably started late November even. I only had to overlock the seams, take in the back seam about 2 cm for my sway back and put the waistband on. As I said it was way too hot to even put these trousers on till now to fit that back seam. Even today was 27 degrees but in that cool, overcast way but I'm still wearing a sleeveless top (the one I made yesterday... up next).  Sorry about the dark, terrible photos. I went to the park with my son after school then promptly forgot to get him to take some photos... that's ok, if your son can't stop talking to you, photos come last!


This photo actually really shocked me as I know my right shoulder drops but I didn't realise just by how much! You can see my hips are relatively level - my hands are in my (terrific deep) pockets though and it's a funny angle but I am crooked! Those wrinkles in the pants aren't there when I don't have my hands in my pockets and when I haven't run around in them all day.


This is the front of the pants. You can just see the little pleats in the front there. I extended the waistband because I wanted this offset the closure because I didn't want to put the belt tabs on. I used some silver jeans snaps - just Birch ones from Spotlight a few years ago. I love these pants. Other than taking in the top 4 cm of the back middle seam a couple of cm I didn't change these at all. The legs are a perfect width and as "skinny" as I like. They are the perfect width all the way down for me. 
The fabric was a piece of fabric I got at the fabric sale I go to.


This is the fabric ... yep, .50cents! It's a great olive green and it goes with so much! It is crinkled but is a cotton.. it feels like it has metal threads through it. When I washed it, it crinkled even more than this but seems to straighten a bit when warmed up with wearing.


 When I was cutting the pants, I just couldn't get them out without that chunk you see in the photo above getting in the way. So I just cut a piece and stitched it together and made it a 'feature'.

 

There was also one little tiny chunk just out of the hemline, so a little label there and Bob's my pants!


This is my new top too. I got the fabric as a small piece from the Brisbane Spoolettes... a beautiful, buttery rayon and the pattern was a score from there too. 


I made the size 8 to the high bust and then out to a 14 from there. It's a Simplicity "Learn to Sew" pattern. It's a great pattern even if you already know how to sew.


I took 3 cm from the strap part of the front and I meant to take a little dart in the arm hole but from my bedroom to the sewing room I completely forgot, so the armhole gapes a tiny bit.  In this photo you see the gape but also the hemline which is lovely and a little bit longer at the back. THere's a lot going on in the fabric.


In this photo you see that the welt pockets gape and look like little spy eyes  - this happened because I tried being clever and I used the pattern instructions and then I tried to use some other tutorial but they did different things in different order and I think I missed a bit of inside under-stitching. I think I'll put a buttonhole and button to keep them closed. Ha.. as if... I'll move onto the next thing of course! (but I will learn my lesson and stick to one method). It's amazing that when you use fabric that is .50 cents you just do the steps and make welts... no stress. I have to say these are the 2nd set of welt pockets I've done.. the last ones about 30 years ago. Not avoiding them, they just never came up again.


So, my new outfit. I love it. It will be very useful in this mid season that should last about 2 days!


Pants pattern reminder. I think I made the straight 14. Easy

 This is the top pattern  - two different looks with really good sizing.


These are the great instructions for beginners. They give lots of tips for newbies and even very useful tips for sewing with sheer fabrics.

SO... I love my new top and pants and I will be making more soon. What do you think?

Next up...onto finishing my niece's kimono dressing gown... from pineapple fabric.

Comments

Mary said…
That is the cutest pattern-I am always surprised to find such gems in the "easy" offerings. Nice work.
McVal said…
What a fun top! And good job on the pants. You can't go wrong with next to free fabric!
Sarah Liz said…
I have to admit I like the peeping welt! Anyway, most of the time you will be wearing a top over the trousers. I remember you starting these - and the fabric, which is gorgeous - got to love crinkly cotton, no ironing! And the price is just right - as you say, it is much less stressful to sew with a cheap fabric that also looks good. The top is nice too. I have one shoulder lower than the other too - I try to be aware of it, so that I don't develop the lean further - and I stretch a lot now, which helps.
Alice said…
That was the fabric I donated, I'm so glad to see it used already. You've made good use of the print too
Summer Flies said…
Oh I wondered who donated it. It is lovely and soft and it was just enough for this top. Thanks!!!
Judith said…
Just a great outfit for our weird and wonderful weather at the moment! I too, like the peeping welt ~ and we all have wonky body parts ... that's why we sew ... J
Summer Flies said…
Hi Judith hope you are well!

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit