Skip to main content

What am I doing?????

As if being a single parent (with only one day off a week) of a six year old active boy isn't enough, I have just started my Tafe course in Marketing this week ... one week down and 18 to go!  I am overwhelmed with how much work we have to do and getting a bit crazy with 'how will I ever do it all'.  I also make kindergarten sheet sets for a local kindy (kindergarten) and I have my usual home/mother stuff to do.  My son now has some before school care, park play and friend look after, and my Mum picks him up on Thursdays. Phew!

However, I am determined that this will work out.  I will probably only do sewing in minimal bursts for a number of weeks- kind of tension release.  I have to master simple computer things that most people have no trouble doing - like spreadsheets etc.  I was a travel agent for the last 12 years of my paid working life (that ended 6 years ago) and I used travel programmes and CRS's (computer reservation systems - indeed I know 3 of these!) but this does not help in the usual computer stuff.  Travel is very complex stuff and your mind doesn't seem to be able to switch it off when you leave work - not the best job for a part timer.  I would not want to work full time with my son in school so the next best option was to retrain and get skills that would help to get work with school friendly hours.  Anyway this is only a year long course, with a long break at Christmas/summer holidays so there is a big carrot at the end.  If I am crazy enough, this will lead me into a Bachelor of Business at QUT.. but I think I'll just bumble through this one and see how I go first!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...