Skip to main content

I was in Sydney...

I know it's late ... but thoughts go out to all in the US who have been affected by the 11 September attacks. 


I was in Sydney with some German friends.  We would alternate who went to which country and it was their turn to come to Australia.  They love Brisbane but adore Sydney and we ended a wonderful trip together in Sydney for a few days.  We went out to the Basement the night before and planned meeting in New York City the next year as it was one place neither of us had been. We were very excited by our plans but woke the next morning to the unbelievable footage. 


Sydney Opera House - another time.
I don't usually watch t.v. in the daytime but my friend put it on in the hotel and it was just at the moment one of the towers was falling. I couldn't see a building it was at the moment when all you could see was the grey cloud of dust. It looked to me like a volcano had erupted and said so to my friend, but I thought I heard New York and said to my friend "there aren't any volcanos near New York is there?" Then they showed the terrible footage.  


I am glad they didn't play it very often here after that first few weeks.. I've only seen it once this weekend, but it still makes me cry ... that funny spontaneous crying that you don't realise is happening. I still get overwhelmed and I can't imagine how New Yorkers must feel. The Freedom Pools look incredible.  I hope I get to New York one day soon.



Comments

Carolyn said…
I hope you get to New York too. It is a wonderful city! Yes that was an awful day. We were living in the US at the time, and I (who never watch TV in the daytime either) watched it all day. It was compelling and horrific both together.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit