Skip to main content

Freecycle Piano

I mentioned I am a member of Freecycle locale Brisbane. This is their mission statement:

"Our mission is to build a worldwide gifting movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources & eases the burden on our landfills while enabling our members to benefit from the strength of a larger community."


Freecycle is active all around the world and basically you "offer" or "want" something and put it on the local site.  All members get email updates daily of stuff wanted and on offer.  Then you make arrangements for collection/drop off  via email through your local Freecycle email address.


I needed a piano for my son who has been learning piano for two years and practicing on an electric Casio keyboard. These don't actually have the complete set of keys so he was running out and that limited his learning.  His keyboard was doing strange things and we were getting desperate. (He had his tonsils and adenoids out last week so he hasn't played it yet but was overwhelmed at how wonderful it is)


Anyway, with not much hope I put up a wanted: piano with good guts (insides!) as I didn't want to have to pay to move and tune a piano I couldn't afford to restore. Well I had offers of not one, but two pianos.  The first one is the one I accepted as the insides were done about 10 years ago but it was never played after this.


And here is my Freecycle piano...


The yellow on the left is the keyboard with the cover and music pouch. 



It is just over 100 years old with real ivory keys ... beautiful, no? I was gobsmacked when I saw it and because I know nothing about pianos, I asked the piano teacher to go and have a look for me.  She couldn't believe someone was giving it away! It needs a few keys tweaked and after settling a few weeks, a tune also.  I could not just accept this beautiful piano so I have a voucher for the lady who passed it on to us. I am so grateful! The mover/tuner/restorer valued it quite highly - what a treasure.


I love the concept of Freecycle ... I hate waste and therefore tend no to throw things away if they are still viable but no longer useful for me. This allows the gifting of stuff to someone who needs and it takes it off your hands .. WIN/WIN!!!  I love it.


Do you Freecycle?

Comments

LinB said…
I've read about Free Cycle but never used it. What a lovely piece of furniture! Glad you were able to acquire it -- and I'm sure its owner is happy that it went to a good home, and not to a burn pile somewhere. I work at a church, and we are forever being offered clapped out sofas and broken tables and unplayable piano). When they don't sell at fundraising auctions, we are forced to either pay to have them hauled off, or use them as fuel for Youth Group bonfires. Your instrument has saved you time, expense, and air pollution. Happy January!
Wow. What an awesome find! Piano's are such special things. I have a friend who needs to get rid of hers and feels terrible letting it go, what with all the memories. This is a great idea to give it to a loving home. How warm and cozy to know it found a grateful home where it would be loved!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...