Skip to main content

More Info - Fabric Sale



Sue at Quilt Sew Sew Sue left a comment asking for more information about the fabric sale - specifically if it is worth travelling for her. Sue lives in Toowoomba (a beautiful part of south east Queensland known as The Garden City) which is 1 1/2 hours drive away from Brisbane.

Sorry I should have thought to put more information myself. Well it is worth going. I have been stashing fabric from them for nearly 20 years. They are a fashion design company and buy beautiful fabrics for their collections and are all top quality (bar one woolly one that pilled). The prices have ranged from $2 per metre for cottons to, from memory the most expensive they have ever priced is $8 and this is for Italian silk chiffon or Silk organza. Mostly it is natural fibres but all are good value. My stash reflects this. Most of the fabric I have is from them. Who can resist.

I still have some from $15 years ago - one I was caressing deciding to use the other day. A beautiful black cotton velvet (is all velvet cotton?) with small red hearts on it - I really love it and just can't cut into it yet. I have the tag still on it and it was $3 for 2 metres 150cm wide! I have Italian linen I bought years ago for $2 (yes read it and weep) per metre!

If you are anywhere close to Brisbane it is definitely worth going. I don't always buy huge amounts depending on what I like (not need - as most readers will understand - I don't need any).  I will have to go on Thursday after 2nd day of uni and picking up my son from school. I'll have to bribe him with dinner at Ikea and cardboard fabric rolls! (in fact the owners always ask me if I want some rolls to take with me if my son isn't with me!)

I made this Jacket from the fabric I bought there. The colour is more true in the Burda Magazine photo. It has metallic threads woven through it (what a bugger to keep from rolling - the fabric people telling me they too had trouble with it. I bought that for $8 pm and last year I bought some silver in the same stuff for a Issey Miyake jacket I have yet to make.

Oh and Sue, from where I am (near the city centre) it will take me nearly an hour to drive there too!
Hope everyone close can make it! And don't forget to get on their mailing list.

Happy hoarding shopping - and let me know if you go and what you get!


Comments

kbenco said…
I am in Brisbane on wednesday and am seriously annoyed that I can't stretch it one more day so as to go fabric hunting. I hope you get some beautiful fabric. Maybe I can go next year. I appreciate you posting about this sale, despite my terrible envy ;).
Summer Flies said…
Typical isn't it!!. You could always ring them and check what they have and transfer the money to them. They are very accommodating normally. I could send you some phone photos and descriptions - or call them to see if you could drop in on Wednesday - they may say ok.
khristie B said…
I am soooooo going. I got this in the mail last week.
Last year was a scrag fight with some Nanna's, pretty funny. They wanted the pea green wool I had stashed under my arm!! Also, last year, people were rocking up before the advertised times, Cheeky!!
The Fabric Store in the Valley has 40% off next week for VIPs.
Fabric Heaven!!!
Summer Flies said…
Yes..once you go, you never miss it! And yes they really don't like it if you show up early! Not surprisingly as it is a nanna fight for two days!
I got a ready made coat with the same pea green wool I(I think) and it was pilling.. hope it's not the same. That's the only thing in over 15 years that has been poor quality.

Thanks for the heads up for The Fabric Store ... must check how to become a vip as I really wanted some merino wool!
Where have you been.. not much blog action - hope you are well.
Sue said…
Thanks for the details on the sale. I am not sure I can make it, but I will try!
I have some vintage velvet which I am sure is made from silk... yummy!
BusyLizzie said…
How fortunate, I found your site today and I am in Brisbane!! Awesome. I am definitely going to have to make an effort to go to that sale. This could be dangerous, but thanks :)
Carolyn said…
Oh, you are lucky to live close to a wonderful shop like that... such bargains!!
HI good information of More Info - Fabric Sale.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit