Skip to main content

Graduation dress DONE!

 Finished my dress last night. I love it even though it is not perfect.I love the fabric - I really didn't want to wear black or a solid under that ugly cape thing we have to wear (what's that called?). When I made this dress last time I did a bodgy fix up - it was so wide in the back that I sewed up a seam in the back just so it looked decent, but unfortunately even though I measured and made a much smaller bodice at the top, it is still wide and should have some darts in the shoulders at the back. (but it's not too bad)I am SO small in the back I don't even think the size 8 would be small enough.
 Here's those pleats - doesn't look complicated does it but there is a double pleat underneath this middle pleat - not sure how much the complexity adds except fullness. Seams matching. I love how Burda patterns just sew up so nicely. I hope to make the jacket and skirt from this pattern also. I'll need to make some business worky clothes when I get a job. 
This is only my second invisible zip - funnily enough the first one was in the other iteration of this dress. Forgive me for the pretty ordinary insertion. I don't have a metal invisible zip foot and the plastic one I do have I couldn't work out what to do with it, so I sewed it in with the normal zipper foot and one side didn't go in quite close enough so I added some hand sewing and it looks ok. I watched a tutorial on Youtube and it made it very clear. I think I just bumbled through the last one - no wonder it wasn't good!

Now off to get ready and graduate officially! Thanks for the nice comments.

Comments

Judith said…
Graduation! How exciting - where is it being held at???? Not sure what the 'official' name of the gown is, but I have always referred to my one as an 'academic gown' I think you made a great choice with the dress fabric, a lovely pop of colour under the gown is much more exciting (and more you) than plain boring black! Enjoy the day...J
Anonymous said…
Beautiful dress, I really like the pleats. I must say that the purchase of an invisible zipper foot was one of the best sewing investments that I've made. Congrats again!
Nikki said…
Congratulations! This fabric is great and should look brilliant under the black gown. I'll be interested to see what colour your hood is too! Colour at these occasions is important and makes you feel so much better. Hope you enjoy the ceremony.
Sarah Liz said…
Yes, this is a lovely dress - and no-one will notice anything sizewise with it at all, with the lovely pattern on it - and if you are that small in the back, it is going to be a better fit than anything RTW. I loved wearing my academic gown and chalkboard - hope the colours go with the dress.
Sue said…
Very pretty dress and should look lovely under your academic gown. Congratulations!
Summer Flies said…
Thank you Judith... yes I think you are right in calling it the 'academic gown'. I do love the colours too.
Summer Flies said…
Thank you.. yes I can see that I'll be getting one soon too as I do believe invisible zips are much easier to do overall, and I love the 'seam' look.
Summer Flies said…
Thank you! The hood is royal blue and I realised after that although I don't wear solid royal blue, there was splashes of it on the fabric.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks, I felt very swish!
meli88a said…
Beautiful dress! and Congratulations on completing your degree!

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...