Skip to main content

Graduation dress

My graduation is on Tuesday at 2.30pm QPAC (Queensland Performing Arts Centre). I decided to make a dress. 
It's a pattern I have made before: Burda 7488. Those pleats at the front - they're complicated. It is one on each side, then two in the middle and then the two in the middle overlap... this dress is pretty simple except for that and the instructions are appalling for that part. The rest is pretty straight forward. 

Instead of putting the zip in the side, I have added seam allowance and cut the back in two pieces to put it in the back. That's not perfect as it will add another seam and disrupt the beautiful middle back bodice piece but the zip in the last dress I made with this pattern really bothers me under my arm. 

I will finish it tomorrow and post some pictures. I may have time to make the jacket too - I have some nice red wool that matches the red in the fabric..oh it's a cotton stretch sateen that was a remnant that I bought in Adelaide Spotlight in January 2011. I may even treat myself to some new shoes to match. Will I have time to shop?? 

I'd like to say thanks to all for the nice comments re finishing my degree. 

Comments

Audrey said…
Congratulations on receiving your degree. You should be very proud. I can still remember how much time and effort it takes. I hope the dress sewing is going well. I think red is the perfect color for a celebratory graduation event. Of course red is my favorite color.
Carolyn said…
Congratulations on receiving your degree! The pattern you have chosen for your graduation dress is gorgeous.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...