Skip to main content

My little dumplings

Pork mince mix

Wrappers brushed with water with press

Dumplings pressed and ready for boiling

Boiling those little suckers

Served with snow peas and broccoli in garlic and oyster sauce and sesame seeds

One of our favourite meals is dumplings. I first had these  was in Auckland; we'd buy 20 for about $7 and they were yummy! When I came back to Australia I noticed the dumpling wrappers in the supermarket (were they there before? I don't know but I never noticed). I then started making my own and they are so easy. I made them once with prawn mince (keep it quite chunky, and chicken - not such great flavour but still nice). Have a go!

Pork Dumplings

1 pack dumpling wrappers 
water and pastry brush
dumpling press (get this from Asian shops)
large pot of boiling water
chilli oil (dried chilli flakes in jar topped with rice bran oil)

Mince mix
200g heart smart pork mince
1 can bamboo shoots or water chestnuts, chopped finely
(water chestnuts offer more crunch)
1/2 to 1 bunch well washed and finely chopped coriander (cilantro)
grated fresh ginger to taste (approx 1 cm chunk)
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed 
(ginger and garlic to taste - more or less as you like it but try to avoid bottled stuff)
a few shakes of sesame oil

Mix all the ingredients for the mince until well mixed. I peel off  6-8 wrappers and run the wet pasty brush around the wrappers. Place wrapper in press and put one teaspoon mix in middle and press. Keep going till done (there are 30 wrappers in each pack).  

Put between 6 and 8 in the pot of boiling water for approximately 6 minutes or until translucent. Serve hot with good quality Japanese soy sauce mixed 50/50 with fresh lime juice. (Chinese soy is too salty and overpowering and the lime juice really adds to the flavour).  I always serve stir fried greens (broccoli, snow peas, green beans, asian Kailan - whatever I have) with loads of fresh crushed garlic and oyster sauce (or whatever you prefer).

I have frozen them at times (raw - remember not to refreeze the mince), but I find I have to lay them on a tray to keep them separate and they aren't ever as good. Fresh is best! Let me know if you try them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yum! I haven't made dumplings in a long while but I love them :) I usually do them steamed and then pan fried though :) Making the filling is the best part; the house smells so wonderful :) I love your dumpling press - that's so cool!! I just use my fingers haha ^_^
Summer Flies said…
These are really good. I have heard of a recipe that you fry first and then pour in water to steam/boil them. I will try frying them after as I like those too. That press was $1 from one of those everything shops and is very strong; I have only found flimsy ones since and wished I bought 2 back then.

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...