Skip to main content

*New* machine

I picked up this Elna from Freecycle a couple of weeks ago. They said it wasn't working and good for parts. I don't have an "Elna" but a rebranded Elna (Elina 40) and thought maybe it would be ok for some bits for it but it isn't the same machine or even close. When I picked it up it had no cover, no power cord and was filthy. It looked like they over oiled it (like with litres of oil) and it glugged up the insides. I didn't test if it worked but figured it as it was stiff and badly cared for, I could learn something. I pulled it all apart and cleaned it up.

I cleaned it up with a brush (above) and some metholated spirits. I found some of that invisible, nylon thread caught up around something and figured that's what lead the owners to oil it to death.






It was really glugged up all over. I pulled all the cases off and really cleaned her up. I had to get a bobbin case (it's the old side entry bobbin case) and used my very first Janome electric cord which fit. It purred and felt very 'solid'. Unfortunately, some of the stitches don't work properly so it will need a service.


The 'after'... very clean and sparkly and works if I need it. 

And I needed it. I have 6 machines and not one is working properly. One is my very first machine which I though worked but when I got it out, the stitching dial is out - I haven't used it for a long time but don't remember it not being right. I have my usual machine (about 4 years old) but I hit a pin when sewing the swim shorts for my niece and maybe it has thrown the timing out as it isn't running well... maybe it's the thread. (I use good quality thread but this particular reel is leaving a lot of fluff - I haven't had this before so maybe it's a bad one?) That's why there hasn't been any sewing but lots of cursing here. I have tried!

I went past a sewing shop last week and saw a lovely Pfaff. I am wondering if I should try and trade in my old machines (except my two Singers - both really old) and get a new machine and just have two everyday ones. Or maybe I should get the electric Singer and my daily machine both serviced and not bother with another machine.. much better for the space problem! I'll think about that next week. 

I'm exhausted after this week... we had a garage sale as part of the Garage Sale Trail and cleared out, cleaned and dusted everything under the house - even vacuuming under there as it was so dusty. Although, financially the garage sale was a little less than we would have liked, the huge plus is I have chucked the rubbish, cleared the space and I shall now donate to free cycle and some favourite charities. I'm resting up tonight and then attempt to trace a Burda pattern that I've tried to trace before but gave up as it was so hard to see the lines. Brisbane is having it's own Frocktails in November - very kindly arranged by Rosi Button and a new dress must (needs) to be made.  Hope the machines cooperate!

Comments

Vanessa said…
Oh, I hope you figure out a good solution soon. I have never had my machine serviced, not once. It is a Janome (similar to the Heart Truth) but really a Kenmore. I really should take it in next year. I am guessing that helps? Anyhow, I hope the Burda pattern works out for you, and your dress too!
SimpleFibreLife said…
Well done on cleaning the machine up. It looked filthy to begin with. Although, at least having a heap of oil on the machine probably helped preserve the innards of the machine.
Well done with your clean out for the garage sale. It's feels so freeing doing a clean out, almost like you feel lighter or something. Good luck with the Burda pattern.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit