Skip to main content

Done with no struggle - Burda 2/2015 106 Blouse - Edited with photos wearing blouse

Edit - I've taken photos with me wearing the blouse as requested some commenters. Sorry they aren't great - I've just used my 11 year old's selfie stick but you see what it's like on. It fits nicely around the bust and shoulders but is very loose and could be smaller by two sizes easily. My sister says it looks like I'm wearing Mum's pyjamas - huh, what does she know. It doesn't sit too low but low enough. So pjs or top, what do you think?

I should have remembered to take off my glasses or cut my head off... when I cropped, that is.



Yay! I finished something that went smoothly!! Not cutting errors, no machine problems... nada, nothing. Just smooth sailing and done in a couple of days. Plus, I love it.



I made blouse 106 from Burda Style February 2015 - the cover blouse. (borrowed from the library too - love that).


Here's my top on the dress form, just freshly finished (hmm... this looks unfocused now, rats).  No photos on me as it is pouring rain right at the minute and dark (I didn't even notice it got dark!) but it looks really nice on.  My fabric is a remnant from Spotlight bought just recently for $4, there was about 3 metres with a huge gash in the centre where I think it was used for dressing their mannequins for display. I said it was a Japanese voile but when cutting this out I saw on the selvage that it is actually a Japanese lawn. It has a lovely hand.


The blouse has raglan long sleeves and the pattern calls for bands cut on the bias for the sleeve hems and the waist band. I didn't want the waist band so I just cut it a bit longer.  The neckline has a bias cut band attached where you thread the tie through. The tie is also cut on the bias. My two bias neckline pieces were both pieced. Isn' the fabric pretty... I love the colours.


I didn't want the elastic bands on the cuffs, so I just gathered the end of the sleeve and finished with a bias band on it. I really like this neat finish.


I used French seams for this top simply because I was too lazy to set up the overlocker (set up means I didn't want to rethread with a lighter colour), but I like how they turned out. I had to do the first seams (side seams) twice as first I went auto pilot and put the two right sides together... doh!


 I made a wide hem and stitched it down. I like the wider hem. I really love this top, it has a really professional look to it. Next time I made a size 42 but next time I'll make it without the seam allowances as I think it will be a bit better with less volume. I have to say, even though this is a simple top, the drafting is spot on, the instructions less so (no surprise there) but it just fits.


There are a lot of great things to make in this issue and I've cut the pattern out for this top but in a size 40 after measuring the pattern pieces and reading a review somewhere that it was quite voluminous.  I really love the look of the bottom peplum ... I didn't get into the peplum bandwagon when it came out (although I do have some patterns with detachable peplums) because I don't think it is particularly flattering on my shape, but this one is so interesting it may distract from my tummy. I haven't decided if I'll make the sleeves long now that summer is coming. I also have jeans on my radar. I made some Vogue ones last winter out of some vintage corduroy but they didn't fit (still don't and they are still unfinished - just hems and belt tabs to go) and so I'll go up a size as I am sick of the ones I'm wearing that are too big in the waist to fit my hips.

I seem to have more focus on what I'm making lately... probably because everything I have is ill fitting or cheap bought stuff. This is partly because I don't buy good stuff because "I can make that" attitude added to "my fabric is too precious to cut" idiocy. I've decided that I'm just going to make things out of my nice fabric and be damned. What am I saving it for? I mean, when I think of it, I don't have too many wadders (I can execute the sewing no problem but it's the fitting that gets me) and I have 4 sisters, a Mum and a niece so I have lots of takers it something doesn't fit.  Do you save your fabric or just go for it.

Comments

katherine h said…
I have been eyeing off this pattern as I have this magazine Would love to see a photo of it on you. I think I am getting old enough now that I have to just go for it with the fabric stash or else I will never get around to sewing up the good stuff.
Summer Flies said…
Ok, I'll try and get a photo wearing it. Exactly re stash....
Janine said…
Yes the fabric and top looks really pretty - what a great score . I second a photo with you in it ! I do use my good fabric but it can take years to do so - it seems a little less precious then and I have had lots of time to work out what I really want to sew with it. I stew through lots of ideas of what to make until it seems right. I am the same with sewing = I think I can execute the sewing OK but I really know so little about fit . Luckily most of my sewing fits OK but I know it would not pass muster with the true fit experts but I dont really care about that . I dont care if there is a wrinkle here and there .
Summer Flies said…
I have to agree Janine, I don't stress that much about fit in that 'get perfect no wrinkles' type fitting. I do need to fit my tiny little girl back and shoulders (so my sister says) with my large bust and pear bottom. But I do love to sew and loose fitting fits my current non working lifestyle. Picture coming.
Janine said…
Thanks for your updated photos. I have to harass photographers here - they usually comply since they don' t like the sensation of hunger.I don' t have a tripod or selfie stick. I think your rule about op shop fabric is brilliant -that means I have hardly any at all !
Sue said…
Very pretty fabric and perfect for the style of top.
kathy said…
I'm impressed you sewed something from a pattern checked out from the library.
Very pretty top.
I've missed out on some good stuff while away from blogging. Nice top! I recently cut something out with a similar neckline and been trying to work out how to make it work. My pattern calls for ribbon but I think that wouldn't hold the gathers even round the neckline. I'm going to pinch your pattern's idea of a nice thick fabric tie. It'll be prettier too I think.

I like the wide hem too. I was actually earlier today looking at someone's rtw top and noticing how wide the hem was and how it helped the rest of the top sit well.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit