Skip to main content

So, I didn't need it... but how could I resist?


Well, I couldn't resist. I went to the fabric sale but vowed not to spend too much. I mean, I have linens from there from 25 year ago! (beautiful Italian linens that were then $2 for a 3 metre length!)

As it transpired, I forgot to get any extra cash and so only had the amount I had in my coin tray in the car - I use this for the parking meters normally so I better restock it!

First up, above, a cotton fabric that is actually more khaki than the grey it appears above. It was .50c and is enough for a pair of casual trousers or maybe jeans.


 This viscose (rayon) above matches perfectly and $6 for 1.25 metres of 140cm wide is a good buy particularly when it is a lovely print. This should become a top to match those pants I'll make (cough, cough) above.


This a a beautiful piece of linen that is a beautiful watermelon red colour. Dress or drawstring pants? $2? could you resist??


 These are merino scraps in a black, purple red and that grey colour. Each of these pieces would be enough for a front or back of a t-shirt or  a long sleeve. I may even make my intrepid niece some merino undies as she likes these but I don't think she likes the prices!


These are synthetic scraps also - they were wrapped together and who could resist those colours together. Also enough to make a lightweight cardi or something in winter. They don't normally have synthetic knits but as long as it isn't next to my skin I don't care.


 This is also a beautiful piece of linen - 1.75cm long and 140 wide for $12 - bargain!


 This chevron knit is also a remnant and synthetic but for $1 I couldn't resist it either and there are enough in the pieces to make a skirt for winter.


This last piece is a remnant big enough for a shirt. It's an interesting cotton fabric that I bought a couple of years ago for $8 per metre from them (still not made) but the interesting bit is, that it is woven with metal threads through it. This was evident when I did a burn test to see if it was indeed the same fabric as the one I had already. As I am in need of everything casual and not old or just plain  worn out, I should be able to make some nice things for nearly nothing - this whole haul cost a mere $25. I probably couldn't get one metre of linen for $25 so I'm very happy... now to make stuff.

Anyone else get there?


Comments

kbenco said…
All I can say is what a score!
Sarah Liz said…
Lovely, lovely, lovely. I'm glad you succumbed...
Marie said…
So jealous! I was not well enough to go this year, but looks like you got some great stuff.
katherine h said…
Great bargains and some lovely pieces of fabric that look like they will also work well together
Sheryll said…
Wow - great scores! I adore the swallow print, and the zig-zag. Now you have to sew them all up, hehe!
colesworth said…
Some really nice looking fabrics for absolute bargains!
Unknown said…
It is really a lovely post. Thank you fro sharing. Keep sharing.

essay writing company reviews
Janine said…
I couldn't have resisted either ! Looking forward to seeing what you make .

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...