Skip to main content

Vintage McCall's 9514 and a baby gift - Edited-photos wearing the dress


A number of years ago my sister gave me a little old style school port that was full of vintage patterns. A woman she knows had them and made most of them. She had similar/same styles in different big 4 brands. I really fell in love with this one. I love spots and found a navy and white spot synthetic crepe at East Coast Fabrics a couple of years ago when on holidays in Maroochydore.  I don't usually wear synthetics, but I do like a crepe and spots and it wasn't expensive. 


This is the finished dress. I did make some changes. The dress size is 18... I'm probably a 10 + FBA with 14-16 hips. I did try  to do an adjustment but it wasn't a great success but I really loved the potential look. It was so wide on the shoulders and back/bust area. I asked my niece to try it on but it fit better on the back and bust, but not really right. At one point it was going to become a skirt if I couldn't make it work.

It sat in the naughty corner for a long time. I got keen again about 8 months ago and took the arm facings off and recut the whole top part smaller. This is why the cross over sits higher than it looks on the pattern and higher than I like.  The cross over still would not sit right with the ties on the inside. I bit the bullet and sewed down the either side of the crossover.


I also tried to reuse the armhole facings but that was annoying so back to the naughty corner where I picked it up last weekend again. I jigged the facings again for a bit, got jack of that and used some navy pre made bias binding that was sitting right in front of me... a sign!


Just showing how I didn't sew all the way down the front so there is the hint of the wrap in the dress still.

I made a wide tie belt and it has pockets I added. Thank you past me for putting in pockets (in the right spot too thank goodness... I did put some in a dress I made .. a Burda, but they are slightly too low and it's annoying).  Overall a really good work dress. Easy care, ok for air conditioned office although it'll be too hot for summer. No matter, lots more dresses can be made. So not perfect but a saved wearable piece. 


And here's the baby gift. My beautiful Goddaughter had her first baby, a boy! I found this remnant of fleece at Spotlight and brought it home and made a little stuffed toy. I had recently bought some little baby rattle insides at a fabric market so put one of those in..rattle, rattle!


This is for scale. Gosh I have new respect for people who make complex stuffed toys. Getting the stuffing in that pointy nose and the narrow part of the tail to the ends was really tricky and you really need lots of stuffing. All in all I'm happy with it. A great quick project. 

I've got jeans cut out and no real idea of what's next but really want to sew so we'll see what comes next. Still not able to comment on blogs. I'm still reading them so keep writing. When I get time, I'll look into that more.
With cape to keep cold off at work
Side view

Back view

Front view., my sunnies fell of when I took the photo hence the crazy hair!
A few wearing observations: I think the length should be shortened to just on/above the knee. When you are short, I think this length looks a bit dumpy. It feels overall too big. It's comfortable to wear and it has great pockets so that's helpful. 

Is it too plain? I have thought about putting buttons on the front:



They get a bit lost... maybe red ones? I think I'll leave it plain. I might see if it fits my niece better? I'll wear it though as I like it. Any thoughts?

Comments

Vanessa said…
I like your vintage dress in polka dots!!! Congratulations to your goddaughter. That will be a treasured toy from you I am sure!
That stuffie!!!! So adorable!

Love your dress :) polka dots are the best!
katherine h said…
Wow, that dress was an effort! It is so fun in the spots. If it looks half as cute on as the pattern picture, you will soon forget the pain of making it!
Audrey said…
Love the pattern style and your polka dot crepe fabric. All the buttons seem to disappear on the spotted print. If it was my dress I might try putting the ribbon along the front closure to add some contrast and vertical lines, like view A on the pattern envelope. Either a white ribbon to match the spots or a red one for a bit of contrast.
Janine said…
Lucky you getting the vintage patterns. Navy and white spots are classic in my opinion and I think the dress looks good so your persistence paid off. As you say getting that correct length helps ( not sure I've found my 'correct ' dress or skirt length ). Audrey's idea is excellent. What about a contrasting belt as well?
colesworth said…
I like it plain, I think it came out great!!
TAMMY said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
TAMMY said…


Hi I am interested in photo 34 the vintage dress with the scalloped edge..... please can you let me know condition and price please.... also postage to UK... thank you

Tammy

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit