Skip to main content

Chair off the street





My son picked up a chair on the street that looked like this chair. It's an Ikea chair and he liked how it fit his back. Hmmm... I couldn't stand to look at that worn out vinyl. I offered to pull it apart and make a cover. It was really easy to pull apart; 4 screws holds the arms to both back and seat, and the seat is screwed onto the roller feet. I pulled the covers off.. the seat was stapled down and the back was zipped on. 


The cover on the inside. There are the toggles... they are only about 2 cm long. You can see how the cover is pieced together. See the toggles are sewn onto the cover separately so I unpicked them too and saw it had some elastic underneath it. The toggles get pulled through from the front of the seat back to the back or underside of the seat. 


Pieces all separated and as you see it was worse than the one advertised on marketplace. I decided there was no point making all that seaming so I just lay it on the fabric and made it one piece for the seat and one for the back. Speaking of fabric, I used some dark denim I had in stash with a very slight stretch. I got it at an op shop a while ago. That was for the direct seat the the back and for the surrounds, I used some very nice quality stretch flat (non shiny) black pleather I bought at Stoff and Stil in Cologne... it was part of a remnant pack for 7 Euro. I knew I wouldn't use it for a garment as there wasn't really enough and don't want to look like a black sausage!


The seat is on a wood base and it was hard getting the staples out. All that tape pulls through from the cover to mould the seat and just ties up. The back has similar that pulls through with some toggles you see above. The toggles were really hard to twist and pull through the foam and it locked onto the backing which is like a strong interfacing. The photos are not in the order I'd like but Blogger has some new look and you can't use the photos like before (super annoying but I won't bore you with that).


I traced off the cover pieces and sewed them together. It was pretty easy, just the seat one I put the side on incorrectly first and worked it out and unpicked and did it again. Then it was time to pull the tape through for the seat. Hmm... I tried a few things but then thought about a bodkin.  Worked a treat and it was very easy. The hardest part was pulling it tight enough and tying it so it holds the cover down to form the moulded shape. 



I tried doing the seat back then. I realised the toggles pull off so I thought I could use the bodkin to pull the tabs through... they were quite short.. maybe 4 cm long and I just couldn't manage it with just two hands ... I have some nerve issues so I just couldn't pull it firmly enough through to hook the toggles on the get it over the interfacing type fabric.


Then I got creative. Those toggles were never going to work... I pulled some cord through the loops and pushed the cord through the foam holes and then locked it on with one of those chopsticks you get at takeaway sushi. So as I did each one (there was 5) I slipped it into the next one .. that's the last one of one row. There was three rows on the back. I was so pleased to work out a solution and it went very quickly from there. 


Next was to  find the staple gun to pull the sides around on the seat base. 


THat's me getting some through the back of the chair. I overlocked it too because the denim is a heavy weave and was fraying a bit.

I got some black interfacing I bought cheaply which does not iron on well and covered the underneath for a professional finish. You can see the topstitching around the edge of the cover and the denim and pleather. Colour is exactly how it looks there. I am glad I topstitched as it really hold the seam down and helps to keep it from stretching and separating. 


Ta da! Finished chair.


Underneath of the chair with the base screwed on. Only thing .. the wheels don't spin so well and my son, who was thrilled with the transformation, was checking to buy some replacement castors from Ikea but they were really expensive. Then we tried to harvest from another chair but the stem wasn't the right size. He was a bit upset and I showed him how they are pushing down on inside and not rolling. I suggested he google to see if there was a fix and of course there was. They aren't terrific but may mark the wooden floor so I am picking up a roll matt from Marketplace seller tomorrow night. My son is thrilled and we have used stash fabric, saved a chair from landfill and saved money. My son is really happy with the support it gives too. I dragged this out a bit as I didn't have a lot of time but if you had a number of hours it's not a hard job. The hardest was definitely the toggle bits for the back. Everything else is pretty easy. 
The EU has rules about disassembling goods so they can be recycled easily and that works in your favour if you get an Ikea chair as it just came apart and together very easily. So pleased with it.. nice and clean and with the cotton denim it will be much more pleasant to sit on in our hot weather.

Comments

CherylStillSews said…
Great job. Those type of saves can be so satisfying.
katherine h said…
WOW! Great save. Re-upholstery projects are always so much harder than they first look. You are so clever and have done a great job of this.
Carol in Denver said…
Don't we get so much pleasure from doing things for our kids! I hope he appreciates it; it looks great.
Patricia said…
You really are amazing! Well done for persevering with it through the tricky bits, and it looks very smart indeed refurbished. I am sure your son loves it, and is proud of his Mum. xx
Audrey said…
That chair looks brand new. I know what a lot of work reupholstering/recovering furniture can be. Kudos to you

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit