Skip to main content

Roses cowl top.


I made a little cowl top a little while ago and wore it today with my purple gingham wrap skirt. I know it's a simple Butterick 4132 pattern just with little cowl top with or without sleeves. It'a ages old but really quick and making it a size 8 in the shoulders and down to a 12 from the bust down. 

It is the best fabric... a remnant from a designer sale (not the usual one I go to) a couple of years ago where I and my friend didn't buy anything off any rolls, but filled a shopping bag with these remnants. The rose fabric is a very strong firm crepe knit fabric that is a fibre mix. It is very good quality and there was just a scrap big enough for my friend to make her granddaughter a pair of leggings. 

These two fabrics above are from the same grab bag. Top one with the purple colour way is a Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 1366 pattern (the one with the cami and that amazing skirt - everyone made it). It was just enough to make it as a test. It's a beautiful silk crepe chiffon. That is the shoulder seam sewn up with a little ribbon to stabilise it. I finished it today the took it to my Mum as a gift. Hope it fits her. Of course I forgot to get a photo of it but hopefully I'll get one on Mum. The orange fabric is another remnant from same bag and is a heavy knit in that gorgeous colour and texture. Not sure what I'll make but maybe another top. I have so much fabric yet I get so excited by making a remnant fit and be used up.  Does that happen to you?

I've made the top with french seams. This photo shows the texture of the silk and the vibrancy of the colours. Mum has moved to an excellent, new, 5 star aged care home that is literally 5 minutes up the road and they get dressed up for dinner so she feels her wardrobe needs a few things a bit smarter than her day wear. She has a cami for under as it is very sheer... I really hope it fits her well. 


 My friend made this little lemon pudding for dessert after dinner last week and it was super quick and easy so I made it for my family and thought you may want to try it too. It's from one of Jamie Oliver's books. Use extra lemon for real tang. 





Just a reminder of the pattern and how I first wore it. Thanks for reading and leaving comments. Still, I am unable to comment on blogs (except some wordpress ones) and have tried everything but I cannot comment on Blogger blogs mostly. I would really like to as I have seen some great things that I wanted to comment on.. so I am loving your makes and would love to say so. 
Hope everyone is well.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anyone used Lekala Patterns

Has anyone used Lekala patterns? There are some seriously great designs there and they are so cheap and they fit to your own size. I mean look at those dresses... I love that one with the folds and that top jacket is just dreamy. The coat at the bottom - just simple clean lines. I'd love to hear if anyone other than Tanit Isis Sews has made any I'd love to hear how it went.

Oh... I have my last lecture and tutorial for this year tomorrow and in two weeks my first (of four) exams... but on the 13 November at 7.30pm I am finished for this year!(But who's counting??)

So, the time I covered the couch...

So years ago I bought a second hand couch. It was quite new but I think the woman that owned it had dyed her hair and leaned back and it left a bleached spot on the back. I covered it with a throw but I really hated the colour and the spot. East Coast Fabrics had a half price sale for upholstery fabric in March and I decided I would cover the couch.

Now the couch is an Ikea one that you can buy covers from a company that is in Hong Kong (Comfort something or other) and I looked them up years ago to buy new covers but it was about $1000 and as an stay at home single parent I couldn't afford them even if I wanted to spend that much money. Anyway, the couch has a frame on the base which has he legs attached and has velcro around the base where the cover attaches, then the frame holds it in place. So it was quite easy to get off and then I unpicked it all to get the pattern pieces.  

I had a plan. I would take off one cover and have the other one for reference. The other rule I had w…

Proving their worth...

Hi, Happy New Year! We've been back from our trip nearly 3 weeks and no sewing has been done. It rained a lot while we were away and the grass in our back yard went from brown and crunchy quite literally, to green and lush but long. The grass has been cut 3 times already and needs it again.

So, as I haven't any sewing to report, I thought I'd talk about how some things have proved their worth.

Firstly,  the couch covers I made last April for my old couch. I made these covers very cheaply. The fabric was $4 per metre and a very light colour. Before I made them I cut a test piece and marked 10x10cm to throw in the wash to see how it would wash and if it would shrink.

It washed well and didn't shrink at all... good old synthetic. I just took the cushion covers off to wash them this weekend and I'm happy to say they have washed up perfectly. They haven't faded over the last 9 months although I noticed a light stain that didn't wash out but when I do the again …