Skip to main content

Summer togs.

I use togs every week; mostly 3 times a week. My last togs were ones I got in Target for end of season sale for $5. They were a really lovely cut and I liked the way the racer back was too. I'll try to deconstruct them. Well you know how togs just are good one day and next they are stretched out and baggy.  I do aqua aerobics on Sunday mornings and when I was getting my stuff ready 2 Saturday evenings ago, I noticed the lycra had stretched out as it does. I had some Jalie togs cut out maybe 12 months but because I found this pair for $5 and my others were still ok, I didn't make them up. Well I needed them for the next day so cut out lining in power mesh and watched Victoria on tv and what ever was on after and made up these togs.


I wasn't sure I'd like them - not sure why - I love the colours and the lilys but I do like them made up. 

  

I made the back band and the straps shorter - luckily I remembered that from last time I made them which was probably a couple of years ago now. I was in a hurry and I set to work with pink thread. I rushed in and decided I would use the lining and lycra as one piece. I also just se the machine to zig zag and set off. 

I didn't think about stitch length and when I put them on to get the strap length right, it stretched the stitches and now it has this flat lock looking stitch. Quite fortuitous as I happens as I really love the look... I think it's a nice feature. 


The seams are a little stiff and a little scratchy but not enough to worry me but enough that it's noted for next time I use power net... if I use ordinary lining fabric and sew it up in as one it's much softer. I do like the power net lining as it keeps things firm for aqua aerobics although I do wear a sports bra when I do it. 

That's the back view with the sports bra.

This is the front view. Here's me thinking the covid kilos didn't get me... ha! The elastic in the front was a little too long and isn't pulling quite tightly enough and next time I'll try and remember to the a little wedge out of the back at the sides just under the cross strap for my sway back. 

I'm really happy with how they turned out. Fabric is from East Coast Fabrics for $15 per metre. I have some left and may make a little rashie too. 


Comments

M-C said…
Love the way these look! What a cheerful print. But why wear a sports bra when it would be so easy to build in the same effect in this pattern? Aligning the bottom elastic of a slightly tighter internal layer with the back strap would give you the same support, as that back strap is clearly designed as a bra's back band. You might want to not shorten the straps quite so much though, as you're losing some of the support effect by distorting the back band. Congratulations on whipping this out so decisively though, how nice to get such a nice suit in a blink 😁
Summer Flies said…
Oh yes M-C I should and it's on the to do list...it's just a time factor. Hopefully in my holidays coming I will make the next pair with a built in bra. I really appreciate your comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Anyone used Lekala Patterns

Has anyone used Lekala patterns? There are some seriously great designs there and they are so cheap and they fit to your own size. I mean look at those dresses... I love that one with the folds and that top jacket is just dreamy. The coat at the bottom - just simple clean lines. I'd love to hear if anyone other than Tanit Isis Sews  has made any I'd love to hear how it went. Oh... I have my last lecture and tutorial for this year tomorrow and in two weeks my first (of four) exams... but on the 13 November at 7.30pm I am finished for this year!(But who's counting??)

Proving their worth...

Hi, Happy New Year! We've been back from our trip nearly 3 weeks and no sewing has been done. It rained a lot while we were away and the grass in our back yard went from brown and crunchy quite literally, to green and lush but long. The grass has been cut 3 times already and needs it again. So, as I haven't any sewing to report, I thought I'd talk about how some things have proved their worth. Firstly,   the couch covers  I made last April for my old couch. I made these covers very cheaply. The fabric was $4 per metre and a very light colour. Before I made them I cut a test piece and marked 10x10cm to throw in the wash to see how it would wash and if it would shrink. It washed well and didn't shrink at all... good old synthetic. I just took the cushion covers off to wash them this weekend and I'm happy to say they have washed up perfectly. They haven't faded over the last 9 months although I noticed a light stain that didn't wash out but when I do

So, the time I covered the couch...

So years ago I bought a second hand couch. It was quite new but I think the woman that owned it had dyed her hair and leaned back and it left a bleached spot on the back. I covered it with a throw but I really hated the colour and the spot. East Coast Fabrics had a half price sale for upholstery fabric in March and I decided I would cover the couch. Now the couch is an Ikea one that you can buy covers from a company that is in Hong Kong (Comfort something or other) and I looked them up years ago to buy new covers but it was about $1000 and as an stay at home single parent I couldn't afford them even if I wanted to spend that much money. Anyway, the couch has a frame on the base which has he legs attached and has velcro around the base where the cover attaches, then the frame holds it in place. So it was quite easy to get off and then I unpicked it all to get the pattern pieces.   I had a plan. I would take off one cover and have the other one for reference. The oth