Skip to main content

Grinch

Happy new year everyone. 

So much has happened since last year. I have a post still in draft about my trip to Europe including 5 days in Paris and some fabric shopping but life has been pretty busy and at times very cruel so I just have not had the time to write a blog post let alone sew. I'll get to that later.

One of my sisters wanted a Grinch t-shirt for Christmas but she couldn't find one (although she did later) and she bought a plain t-shirt and a kids Grinch t-shirt asking if I could sew the print onto her shirt. The black t-shirts were a good match. I cut an oval shape around the print to make it quick and easy as time is a valuable resource with not much spare.  Even in real life it's hard to tell it's sewn on. I did put a stretch interfacing that I had in black on the back just for a bit of stability but it worked out perfectly. I sewed the little label on the sleeve. She really liked it and it will be worn for many Christmases in the future.





My Dad and his only sibling, a brother, were orphaned in WW2 when about 7 and 9 years old and came to Australia just before my uncle who was the elder) had to do national service at 16. It was a very tough life for them but lived happily in Australia. My uncle's wife died on 14 November which is my uncle's birthday, the day before her funeral, 22 November which was my Dad's birthday, my cousin called and said my uncle had died and it would be a double funeral. It was sad but the nature of life. They were 89 and 91 respectively so had long lives. My uncle and an aunt in Cyprus also died in the previous weeks and since my my passed away on 22 July 2021 I have had 14 members of my family or very close people pass away. It's been very difficult but not as difficult as the latest.

Just two weeks later, my older sister, Maria, passed away. She had a rare blood cancer that she was fighting for 6 years or more ... she was just 62. She was a single parent to a 17 year old young man. To say we are devastated is not even touching the surface. My nephew's Dad is around as are his 4 aunts... but no one can replace a Mum, and especially after he has been caring for her for so long from a young age too. 

My sister called my nephew her miracle. I won't go into it too much but basically she had gynaecological issues all her life, her gynaecologist (from 12 years old), started a very successful fertility clinic and was very caring but as her knew her for so long would not contemplate IVF so she believed she could never have children. At 45, she was lecturing in Goondiwindi  and had severe pain. She was flown by the Royal Flying Doctor Service to the hospital. When she was stable, they advised normally for a woman her age they would suggest a hysterectomy however as she was pregnant.... that's how she found out.. so a real miracle. 


Vale Maria... my beautiful, intelligent and truly unique sister. I miss you so much.

So I am hoping for an uneventful 2023 if you get my drift. 

Comments

Patricia said…
So sorry to read of your loss, and the very sad year you have experienced. The Grinch tee is very cute and funny, and I hope you get time to feed your soul with sewing and kind friends in 2023. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit