Skip to main content

Trifles

I made some trifles yesterday. We had a family lunch here and I made a lovely orange and poppy seed almond cake with ricotta cream in the middle and vanilla icing on the top and we just couldn't fit these in. 


Mum used to make these for us for special occasions; in these same old type wine glasses that were everywhere in the 70s. It's very clever actually because they are pretty tiny so good portion control and it was pretty fancy! Mum always made her trifle so you could take some out and it would all stay put.. nothing running into each other so that's how I make it too whether it's in a big bowl or individual ones.
I used some lemon yoghurt cake for the base as I had some and them some canned fruit, jelly, then some custard. Top with fresh cream and grated chocolate. Yum. 


So we didn't eat them yesterday as we were so full after roasted lamb shanks, salad, parmesan spaghetti, potato bake and pastitio (Greek baked pasta dish) and cake. This afternoon I had 9  so I took them to my neighbours that have 3 kids. They are lovely people and they were thrilled to have some fancy dessert. I'm so glad I don't have to eat them all.. but I do have a couple left!

Comments

katherine h said…
Your whole lunch sounds delicious
Anonymous said…
thanks Katherine. I hope you are well! No action on your blog but I do see you on Fadanista's blog at times :) So pleased you have some nearby sewing friends in Perth>

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...