Skip to main content

Paris, river cruise 2022 - photo bomb!

(this post has been in my drafts since July 2022 due to life circumstances. I'm just going to write just a little and then just show some photos) 

My friend worked on a Superyacht for many years and through this connection was offered a friends and family deal on a river cruise in Europe. It was a deal too good to miss even though it wouldn't have been a first choice for me for a holiday. She had done this trip before but during the winter  taking in the Christmas markets. We were going in June 2022. We decided to have 5 nights in Paris (where I'd been 5 times before) and 2 nights in Amsterdam where my friend lived for 2 years in her youth. 

We flew into Frankfurt... not because we wanted to but because these were the only flights we could get but we worked with it. Remember great deal! So ok, a short (5hr), fast ride on the ICE/TGV trains got us to Paris eventually (one was late which missed the connection to the earlier TGV but there was one a bit after). We knew that we'd be tired after our long plane journey and decided we couldn't feel any worse if we just kept going by train to get to Paris; because in Paris! We arrived very late and by the time we  got to our accommodation it was after 1am. 

Our accommodation was a villa just on the outskirts of the major city arrondissements in St Cloud. It was charming, with an indoor pool (used every morning), spa (not used) and steam room (used after the pool). We would get up in the morning, have a swim then steam, have breakfast and leave at the crack of 11am. We would get back about midnight so we used our day and nights well. The owner is an artist. The place only has 7 rooms that are quite different and eclectic, some would call strange but it was delightful and when you have been a number of time to a place, it's nice to stay somewhere different. It's also very close to Versailles and the train station was literally 3 houses away (but it was not noisy!). 

I did a bit of fabric shopping and bought 3 pieces.. not photographed so I can't show you but they are  lovely and as yet unused. I went to YSL's workroom museum which was really amazing. I have tens of photos but I've just put up some of the sketching of the Mondrian dress. He kept everything! All drawings, toiles, samples, hat forms etc so it was a really practical insight into the work involved. I really loved it and even my friend was suitably impressed.  

We also saw a Jeans school in Amsterdam (which wasn't open at the time but you sign up for a year and do a full making jeans course).  I also went to Kantjboord, the famous bra making supplies shop. I bought lots but as yet haven't made a bra, but I will! It was very reasonably priced and so much stock. A bit of a journey but worth it if you want bra making stuff. 




























Yum..shared the pink one!

Bought the green trim and some organ needles here.
































This is where I bought my fabric from.







Amazing smelling rose from the garden. 

Owner's artwork.. all plants from the garden.



Breakfast room


Parisian cat and smoker hanging out near the fabric district.

Market shopping

View from our room

Indoor pool!

Villa garden.

Room in Versailles.



More artwork. (I really loved these)

Villa entrance.



Of course we made it to the fabric area. My friend was very patient with me and I came home with 3 fabrics which at this stage, I haven't used yet.  

Treats on every corner!

We went to Versailles for a day, stopped at a fantastic market just in the village and enjoyed the palace. One the way back to the station, we ran into lots of people going in for a concert in the garden that evening. There was lots of people in costumes and we asked this trio for a photo. They told us they made their costumes. 
 

I'm sorry I didn't get this done long before. I have been to Europe and Paris again this year but although I saw lots of wonderful fabric, I didn't buy any in Paris. I did buy some in Athens and I'll do another post and have photos of all my fabrics. We had glorious weather, ate amazing food and had a great time. I've tried to put photos of my self made clothes. We decided that we would take anything sparkly to wear on the boat for a bit of fun. We had a ball! Since then we've been to South Korea and I did buy some fabric there too. Hope you get through all this. More soon.

Comments

Patricia said…
Wow, what a wonderful trip Sofie. Your pictures were certainly worth the wait. Although I have been lucky to go to Paris three times, I have never been near the fashion industry, too busy with the art. Well, I would have bought the green trim too, just fantastic. I am sure you enjoyed every moment, and I have to tell you I have a vintage pattern for the YSL shift dress, which was featured on Great British Sewing Bee a few years ago. So good to see you are having nice trips, and more planned. You go girl!! xx
Patricia said…
I meant to add, if you would like to make the YSL I would be happy to lend you the pattern. P.xx
Eurogrand said…
I'm grateful for the positive atmosphere and sense of community you cultivate.

Popular posts from this blog

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit