Skip to main content

This and that and getting something I've wanted.


There was a little op shop having a sewing stuff sale and I went to it. Really, I do not need anything sewing, but I did buy a few things. A few patterns... why, oh  why.. I have hundreds I want to sell off. I did buy this elastic above for $1. It has a little sticker saying it's old and to be used for bunting but I used it for undies anyway. It's still in excellent condition. There was a red and a another colour too and I wish now I had bought all three.



 I made two pairs. One from a scrap of stretchy satin and the checked one was leftovers from a dress I made a few years ago and it's nice and fine but has a great stretch. It's from The Fabric Store (and I still have some left maybe enough for a top). I used some teal merino scraps for the gusset.



I used the undies from the Noelle set by Madalynne. I used the top for this pattern for some togs for my sister  for Christmas but I didn't use the undies pattern (I used a McCalls one). This is a high waisted panty b


This is a high waisted panty pattern but to fit my shortish body, I had to shorten from the top about 5 cms. This has resulted in a great pattern for me. I will change it to make it the gusset concealed seams but for these two I just wanted to test the fit.




These two $2 things above I bought at Big W. I pulled that too big bra apart for the nice coloured elastics and finding and I think I can cut the cup down to fit too. I will use the silver pleather for trim. Can't buy that much for $2... shame though as it was a cute skirt... I don't know any girls this would fit.

Other thing I've been obsessing about is making my own sourdough bread. I usually buy a great spelt sourdough bread but it's $8 and I'm sick of paying that much. It's a bit of work making the starter.. .well it's not hard but you need to 'feed' it twice a day for 10 days. I wasn't terribly diligent about it and I made 2 at the same time.  Then I mixed it up last night and left it overnight to prove - result above. Pretty good. Then you turn it over a couple of times and let it sit for 30 minutes. When that's done you turn the over on to really hot and put in your bread making vessel.


When the vessel has been in the over for 30 min, take it out and put the bread dough in, slash the top and pop the lid on and put into the hot oven for 30 min, take the lid off and cook another 15 min.


Ta da!

And cut open... nice crumb and lots of holes. It's not very sour but I think that builds up with the starter getting more mature. It is yum. What I love is no knead. You kind of turn it over a few times but it's not kneading. I'm really pleased and the flour only cost me $3 so it's a win. Onto my next win.


I bought a new to me machine. It was a bargain at $250. It looks brand new and has no fluff inside and looks like it has done minimal work. As I was happily walking out to the car, the lady selling it said "do you want an overlocker too?".  Of course I did. It's an old Janome Diff feed model and now I'm going to give my sister's to her daughter. Now I have so many machines I'm going to sell all the surplus ones. Just have two (or three maybe) and then use the funds to get a service and parts for the Bernina overlocker/coverstich I got a while ago for a better bargain even. (Elna cam sewing machine and Bernina overlocker/coverstitch for $100 - I just played with the Elna today ...sews like a dream).

What about you, get any great bargains?

Comments

Sue said…
Sewing undies is always amazingly satisfying, isn't it! The bra is pretty and such a good idea to buy it for the bits. Any chance you have a link to that bread recipe? I would love to try it too.
Summer Flies said…
It is very satisfying sewing undies... quick, uses scraps and fits, plus free! Here's the link to the bread... it's a YouTube thing but the girl is Australian ... easy on the ears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkA8JUmLT8k
do show if you make some.
Vanessa said…
Your undies look lovely! The bread looks fantastic! I have a bread machine, but I am sure that is nothing compared to making it by hand yourself. And, congratulations on your new machine. I love Bernina! One day I will own one (or at least my hubby says one day, lol).
Summer Flies said…
The bread is fantastic and it's really no knead, just mix. I have a bread maker too (for years) and love it too. You know to be honest I just wanted a machine with the letters - I've been looking for a long time for a 2nd hand one. It is terrific but to be honest my Janomes are just as good too.
colesworth said…
Some great scores - I just sent you a facebook messenger message with a link to an australian facebook pattern destash/restash site if you do want to sell some patterns off ;o) I have bought quite a few things from there over the last 6 months.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Collette I've just accepted. You must be reading my mind... I need some lessons from my niece on how to sell them via FB though LOL. I have so many really great ones but like fabric never going to get made.
Lovenicky said…
Wow! Such bargains you got! I love sourdough bread too. I used to make it frequently. I need to dig up that old recipe again!
McVal said…
Holy cow! I love that you're repurposing those items! I have a tub of clothes that won't fit anyone but the fabric is too awesome to throw out. Maybe this fall, I'll do some redesigns on them...
You've inspired me again!
Mary said…
What a wonderful idea to buy bras for the goodies. Thanks for sharing that!!! I hope you continue to have success with your sourdough-there is no better bread IMHO.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit