Skip to main content

YFASMA - Fabric shopping in Athens


I promised this post in March! Fabrics from Euro1 per metre! I didn't buy anything in this shop but there was some lovely fabrics.


I did buy the green and pink one above on the right. A satin finish rayon. It is lovely. There was a lot of lovely fabrics in this shop. It wasn't cheap Euro 8 p.m. but I didn't have a lot of room in my bag and I wanted something I would really love. I also didn't buy anything in Paris this time. I did buy the fabric for a table cloth just across the way from this shop. I also bought some orange/white weave linen fabric for Euro 4 p.m. at another shop, which I think I'll make some summer trousers with. 


As I was going to the airport, I saw this dress on the platform and I really liked it. Very easy to do too,



I went to the Benaki Museum while in Athens. There is actually 2 locations. In this one I saw lots of Greek and Cypriot cultural crafts. This was a bridal bed in Crete. There was lots of clothing, embroidery and gold jewellery. I really loved it. I took a lot of time. My son was at the apartment studying so I did the things he wouldn't enjoy. 



Lunch in Nicosia, Cyprus one day. 


Lefkara above is the traditional embroidery of Cyprus. This style of embroidery patterns featured heavily in my family home. It is all hand done. I remember when I lived in Nicosia when I was 21 when I dropped into a shop, some one was cross-stitching little 5cm squares of linen that had been crocheted together. It was about the size of a queen size bed. The girl had cut the squares, crocheted them together and then was doing cross stitch on them. It was beautiful and took her about 2 years to that point. 



There was lots of broderie anglaise in Paris and Athens.


I had 4 days in Paris by myself. I think this was my 8th time to Paris so instead of doing all the usual things, I wandered around and just looked around. I found a few museums and churches and galleries that were fabulous, free and uncrowded. I saw a poster on the street for an exhibition at  Palais Galliera for Paris Fashion Week and saw a wonderful exhibition. I took a tonne of photos. It was so self indulgent ... I just loved it. It was The 1997 Fashion Big Bang exhibition. There was lots of classic stuff there too of which I think is the permanent exhibition. Even the building was fabulous (as are so many in Paris). 
(I had my old iPhone 6S so photos are not great .. sorry).










Below are some more of the fabric and craft shops in Athens. I'm not a knitter but there were beautiful shops that had groups in there knitting and chatting (and eating.. they were Greek after all).








Those last 4 photos were all in one shop and there was so much I wanted to buy but luckily weight restrictions stopped me buying more stuff! 






I'll leave you with some of the fashions I saw in Athens that I liked, particularly this skirt! So simple yet so cute. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Paris, river cruise 2022 - photo bomb!

(this post has been in my drafts since July 2022 due to life circumstances. I'm just going to write just a little and then just show some photos)  My friend worked on a  Superyacht  for many years and through this connection was offered a friends and family deal on a river cruise in Europe. It was a deal too good to miss even though it wouldn't have been a first choice for me for a holiday. She had done this trip before but during the winter  taking in the Christmas markets. We were going in June 2022. We decided to have 5 nights in Paris (where I'd been 5 times before) and 2 nights in Amsterdam where my friend lived for 2 years in her youth.  We flew into Frankfurt... not because we wanted to but because these were the only flights we could get but we worked with it. Remember great deal! So ok, a short (5hr), fast ride on the ICE/TGV trains got us to Paris eventually (one was late which missed the connection to the earlier TGV but there was one a bit after). We knew that w