Skip to main content

Robin Hood

A few weeks ago I picked up my son from school a little bit earlier as we had an appointment to go to and his teacher said "oh we were just talking about what will happen tomorrow with the children do their parade of story characters tomorrow"

"oh" says me ... "what parade"

"it came in a note a few weeks ago"

"mmm... no I didn't get that note"

"Not to worry... just make something up out of what you have at home is what we've said. No need to go and buy anything"

"Ok" me says again.



So after our appointment and at 5.30pm while making dinner, I whipped up a Robin Hood outfit.  I think if Robin Hood went out in this the rich would feel sorry for him and give him their riches but my son was thrilled (as 7 yo boys are when you "whip something up" for them).  He was so grateful he kept saying, "wow, this is great", "I can't believe it!".  

It's made from a remnant I bought at Spotlight. It's some of that stuff you make to put on tables to protect the top.  I went on the internet and found a tutorial for the hat shape from a girl who made 18 I think for a rendition of Robin Hood-Men in Tights for her husband and friends (can't find it now).  I made up a belt from an old belt and a pouch for the 'arrows' ... just didn't have a feather for these photos but he got one the next day.  His school uniform is that bottle green so that kind of went with it.  He was very proud the next when he came home from school and said many of his friends told him they couldn't believe his mum made it (obviously they know nothing about quality sewing!) but I was glad for him!

Comments

khristie B said…
Yah, great work. Nothing like working under pressure.
kbenco said…
Noble mum award, definitely. I am sure there is an invisible hole in the bottom of a lot of school bags - the notes drop out into an alternate universe ;)
Anonymous said…
Wow! He is looking so good with dress up in robin hood style. The entire pics really impressive. I like this post and want to add in events nottingham. Thanks!
LinB said…
Hurray for Robin Hood! I don't think children in the U.S. get to hear that story much anymore. Good thinking to turn the tablecloth into a "leather" jerkin. You are a good mommy.
Carolyn said…
What a great mum you are! He looks so cute, and pleased as punch in his outfit... funny, I have a table protecter out of that exact fabric too!
katherine h said…
Supermum! I never seem to get those notes either.

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...