Skip to main content

What's in a name?

Hmmm.. what's in a name? Has anyone else noticed that the BIG 4 (or 5 or 6) give their patterns numbers but every other pattern company (the one's I know of at least) give their patterns names.Is it like the birthing of a child - I like it as it seems more personal. What do you think? Had you noticed too?  

Comments

I think it's probably easier to give patterns names when you only have a limited number of them. All the big pattern companies release so many patterns that it would probably be a bit unwieldy to name them all. It's funny how the names of patterns (Colette's Clovers etc) have become so familiar that when someone talks about it you instantly know what they're talking about. I don't think I can even remember the pattern numbers of patterns that I use regularly. Maybe giving them names is a good marketing strategy because it's much easier to remember.
Suzy said…
I like that the smaller independent pattern companies give their patterns a name - like you say, it feels more personal rather than just being another pattern produced.
Summer Flies said…
Yes I do believe the marketing strategy theory (as that is also what I am studying at uni). They become like friends.. that's the ploy anyway.
kbenco said…
I like the names for patterns too, but do wonder how some of these companies will keep it up - there are a lot of Colette patterns now! It is clever marketing. I am pretty sure I am making Rooibos because of the name..... I just looked at the envelope and it has a number as well, 1006, but I hadn't noticed that number being used in any reviews.
Judith said…
If the Big 4 had to name all their patterns it would be similar to paint names - how many ways can you describe 'white' - how many ways can you describe the same looking patterns??? I guess to the Big 4 it is all just a numbers game ...
Hope you are enjoying the holidays, and Uni week off - at least the weather is playing a little fairer for us this time around. I am busy catching up, as always, on the garden, sewing and my blog reading ... J

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...