Skip to main content

Donna Karan Vogue 1250 Gift Dress



This is the Donna Karan Vogue 1250 I made for my friend. I'd had this fabric for a while but knew it was never for me. It's pretty accurate in the colour on my screen. I remember it was a remnant fabric at Spotlight years ago and I figure I wouldn't have paid too much for it because I probably thought I would make a costume or something from it. When I was doing my stash stocktake (of which this fabric wasn't counted) I saw it and knew it was for my friend. It is so her!

Sorry these are really bad photos she just sent me from her phone that was new to her and so they are blurry but they are in the process of moving so the best we will get for a while. When I made her dress I adjusted the cowl to be longer and more curved; the draft for this is a very square and I felt it wouldn't  sit well so I changed it. I did the same for the sausage dress. I don't think this photo needs to be increased in size!

When I made Maree's dress, I realised that I had made this version about 2 sizes smaller... not that I think it would look much better but I did cut it small. Didn't give this one away however, as I really love the fabric and I'm working on getting me to fit into in - in a way that I would wear it in public!
I've been busy around here doing job applications, doing some small computer courses and clearing my house of stuff I don't want or need. I also got some labels and made an Ottobre t-shirt but that's for next post. 


Comments

BeaJay said…
Love the dress you made for your friend. Very nice fabric. It's funny how some fabric speaks to one person but not another. The second dress has great fabric too. Since it is a block fabric have you thought about running one of the colours as side panels to give it more room?
Summer Flies said…
Thanks. I love the fabric for the second dress but the way the DKNY dress is constructed doesn't allow and adjustments. I can't think of how to add to it. I'll just have to make another till I fit. It's a great pattern and very easy.
MushyWear said…
What a nice job and special treat for your friend! This pattern yields such nice results, and I love how simple it is.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks. She loves it and it is so her style. It is a fantastic pattern... love the cleverness of the draft.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...