Skip to main content

Style Arc Alisha dress finished


The dress is finished and I wore it to the wedding on Saturday. I started Thursday. There was a few hiccups but not unmanageable. I made the slip but in the end I made a full lining. This is my first fully lined dress and I had to work out the best way. I did this because the pattern calls for the lace to be a scalloped edge and I couldn't work out a nice finish to just make the lace dress so I decided it would be best for a full lining.
Close up of fabric

I ended up bagging out the top and if you notice, I attempted to give it some turn of cloth so the lining wouldn't show at all. It wasn't a well thought out plan as I added a couple of millimetres all around but I don't think that is the ideal but it worked out ok. Then I had to work out how to make the dress part so I just made a lining and attached the skirt part (lining and dress) to the bagged out top and then to finish made a nice bias strip and finished it like this. I put a hook and eye on the back but I left out the zip as it slips on easily. I ended up adding a bout 3 cm each side for extra comfort and although it isn't perfect on, it is pretty good and is very comfortable to wear. 



One of the issued I had was the lining - I had made the slip out of the most perfectly matched heavy satin I just happened to have in the stash, but now I had no use for the slip with the dress and no lining fabric. I went to Trad's Emporium at Cannon Hill and they had a perfectly matching high quality lining fabric for $3.50 per metre. I must go and get more. As you can see it is a Daniel Lightfoot. He's a fantastic Brisbane designer and Trad's has has some of his unused fabrics. I bought some beautiful silks for $8 many months ago from the same stock. He now makes a lot of uniforms I think.  I kept the lighter side to be the side that the dress would back against as it was the side that the writing was less obvious (it isn't very obvious at all), and the darker side as the inside of the dress. I must stay a full lining makes it look very professional!


I finished the hem of the lining with a rolled hem on the overlocker and I just left the sequinned fabric unfinished. I can't do it with the overlocker and I don't really know if it needs a hem. The fabric part tends to catch a bit so I may just run a flame around it to 'finish' it but it could all go up in flames so maybe I won't! Of course, although I had my camera with me, I did not remember to take a photo of me wearing the dress (shame as hair and make up was done too and that doesn't happen often enough!). I'll try and get dressed up again soon.

While making this dress I also made a dress, the Vogue 1250 DKNY cowl dress, for my friend's birthday. She lives and works on a luxury private boat and I had some fabric I wouldn't wear but was PERFECT for her. I'm waiting for a photo and I'll post it but it looks great on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit