Skip to main content

Happy New Year 2015

I wasn't going to do a 2014 review because I don't think I make enough items, good quality sewing or offer very much to the sewing community. That's ok, I sew for my enjoyment and I do love it. So I'll do an overview of my sewing. (A few photos of some favourites)











I made a total of 49 items... this includes 14 tops, 9 dresses, 6 pants, and 9 items for Alex which includes tops shirts (4), swimmers (2), a cloak, and some shorts. On top of these 'real' items I made school shorts and trousers, 1 dress for a friend, a tunic for my Mum, 2 other cloaks, a yoga carry bag, 2 shower caps, 5 pairs of undies and a bevy of clothes for little girls out of some leftovers I couldn't throw out and gave to a friend's daughter and I made 4 large cushions for gifts. Also about 15 beach skirts that have nearly all been given away now. I also made jeans but made an error in sizing so I'll be making these come cooler weather in the next size and I think they'll be great.

I bought labels this year, I organised my stash (although that's gone a little to the dogs), I got some new/old machines, got nearly all my machines serviced. I really tried not to buy fabric this year but I went to Sydney once and Melbourne twice and couldn't resist some. I've got 3 things not finished because they have no hope of fitting at the moment but I think I'll finish them and get them out of the way.

The favourite thing I made is the Burda Batwing Dress. I have had many positive comments about this dress and I LOVE it. It is really easy to wear, is easy to make and has such nice drama about it. I have another one planned ... maybe next week.  I made some duds too... but I'm not too worried.. all adds to the knowledge bank so I


In 2015, loose plans would be to make some work appropriate clothing (office attire) in anticipation of getting work, I'd like to try bra making and getting fit worked out a bit better. I would like to use my coverstitch (now that it is serviced) and make some togs for myself.

I want to say thanks for all those who read my little blog, a big, gigantic thanks for those who make the effort to comment as I really love reading them. I want to say thanks to all this who write blogs too as I really enjoy reading all the different styles of blogs. 

Comments

Judith said…
Happy New Year ~ we certainly are starting 2015 off with a hot one! Loved your recap, and yes, the Batwing dress is awesome ... J
Sarah Liz said…
Tosh, of course you offer something to the sewing world - we are all different, and all have something to offer. For instance, those pants are pretty good - I haven't made any yet. Looking forward to your 2015 makes, Happy New Year.
Sue said…
Happy New Year - I am a big fan of the batwing dress too. It looks like quite a good year to me. All the best for 2015!
Summer Flies said…
Thanks everyone!
Catherine Daze said…
Happy new year! The batwing dress is awesome.
Kyle said…
I really like your new labels, and your dress. As my mom would say, "make it in every color".
Happy New Year!
Anonymous said…
I love that batwing dress too. And your labels.
Happy New Year!
Janine said…
49 items is very impressive. I think you do add to the sewing community. Every time someone posts about a pattern or whatever it is very helpful. Before I sew any patterns I check pattern review and google to get any information or see what the garment looks like in real life. ( since I sew so many outdated patterns though often there is nothing :( ) I prefer genuine reviews anyway to the more monetised blogs . However I agree with you blogging should be what you want to do. Happy new year.
MushyWear said…
Happy New Year! You have had a productive year. Your batwing dress is pretty fabulous! Love the fabric too.
SimpleFibreLife said…
Oh my gosh! You're a sewing machine. At the moment I only dream of being that productive.
you're Batwing dress is fantastic. That fabric...gorgeous!
Happy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit