Skip to main content

UFO finished - New Look 6315


So another UFO finished. I made the cardigan. At first look, it's very similar to most waterfall cardigans (I've made 2 different Kwik Sew ones) but this one differs because it has a band  around the waterfall and hem. I cut this out 18 months ago and even though I really wanted to make it, it frightened me for some reason. It was that band and I'd read a review on Pattern Review and the person said it wasn't a good pattern and she wouldn't recommend it. Anyway, I loved the colour and fabric and thought get it done and donate it.

 
Plus I made a mistake cutting it out... at the collar part I cut into a smaller size, realised and stopped but then I had this slash. So I zig zagged a little  grosgrain ribbon on it and put a little fray check and the result is not invisible but I don't notice it at all. In fact I had forgotten all about it until I saw the photos again.


The fabric is some linen knit I bought at Darn Cheap Fabric $2 per metre table. Such a bargain and it is amazing fabric. It is a fabulous colour and the slightly brighter blue you see is little sparkly specks.


Sorry, really bad photos again. I wore it today and meant to take a photo of it with a nice white cotton top under it and some cargo pants. It looked much better that over this dress.  The fabric has a nice weight but the band really adds to this and really finishes it off very nicely - it rolls over to the front which I like. Considering this was the part I was avoiding and even considered leaving it off, it's my favourite  part. It really finishes it off very professionally.


Back view...with a dress it's very unbalanced but with pants it looks so nice. The one thing I have to fix is the length of the sleeves. I have to cut off about 8 cm. Shame as the coverstitching finish was perfect. I even washed it in hot water as I thought it would shrink for sure so I didn't cut it before then, but nope, it's kept it's size which is a good thing. I love this cardigan. It's perfect for air conditioned office or movies etc. I thought I took a video of how I slip some little ribbons through the slot in the foot of the overlocker to give the shoulders stability, but I can't find it. I cut the hanger ribbons off everything but keep them as it's useful for this job.

So I recommend this pattern - I'm so glad I bit the bullet and made it up. It was a pretty quick sew up too. I love the fabric too... one of my favourite things I've made. (and practical for a change!)


So I have loads still to show you. Thanks for all your comments... apparently I can't even reply to your comments on my own blog! So till next time.

Comments

Audrey said…
Kudos on finishing so many UFO's. You are making me feel guilty about all of mine. Nice cardi. The band is definitely more sewing, but definitely easier, IMHO than turning up a hem on that long curved edge.
Vanessa said…
The waterfall feature of the cardigan looks really nice on you! I am glad you got a UFO finished--that is always gratifying!
It's really cute and I love the back fit especially. Very pretty color too.
colesworth said…
ooh nice waterfall. I have a half finished jacket and lining to put together - but weather isn't really making me want to do it!!
oh wow! Looks really great. And that colour! perfect for you. I'm envious of you finding any linen knit, ever. But one that looks so good on you? Mmmm!

I'm impressed you're finishing these UFOs. can you send me some of your ufomojo? I have to make, well, a cardi, in a similar colour to that, but merino from The Fabric Store for my upcoming trip to Tassie.

Actually just remind me how crazy the weather can be there, how cold it can get even over summer and that ought to fix my missing ufomojo, right?

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...