Skip to main content

Candy stripes - FO - finished object

 I cut this top out probably 2 years ago out of a remnant of cotton knit I bought at Spotlight. It has a little yoke at the back, bands on the wrists and a neck binding with pleated bodice. I bought a knit top that was a sample from a pop up shop more than 10 years ago for $5 and it fit so perfectly around the neck, shoulders, arms and length I unpicked it and used it as a pattern for this top. The original was black and the bands on that top was woven. (I don't like to wear black on the top but I did wear the original top out).


You can just see the yoke above. I love how the neck binding is on the bias. The cotton knit was so easy to sew and it is a pleasure to wear.



 Do you see the error? (other than my irregular coverstitching - the thread was catching on something) I put two pleats on one side and three on the other - the original had 3 I think. I used the actual fabric pattern but I think I'll transfer it to paper and tidy it up so I don't do this again. Also look how wonky those pleats are.  I'm not too fussed as this was really to see if the pattern would work (does) and heck I won't be wearing it for ages as it's so hot already and it was a test. Another thing out of the UFO pile. (I look at these photos and I think I might pull the pleats apart and fix that up - it just bugs me). When I bought that bargain Bernina it didn't only come with an overlocker but it came with a walking foot and I used it last night to sew up 2 more leather purses and it was so good. More on that later.

Just off the top of my head, I have 2 dresses (1 UFO), 2 skirts (remnants) , a linen knit waterfall cardi (UFO) (gorgeous) and another top (remnant) to show you. Plus I made another 2 leather purses and I have another one cut out but I can't find the leather pieces (am tidying up my sewing room as we speak). That's the end of the leather I bought a little under 12 months ago. I've also made an effort to put all the random pattern pieces away in their envelopes (no mean feat with so many patterns).

Oh and I still can't comment on most blogs??? A few I can however, and I'm just not sure why so while I may have some comments I can't post them.



Comments

Vanessa said…
I still think your top looks great! And you have been productive to have all of those things to showcase! I am excited to see them.
katherine h said…
Cute top and probably the best way to get a pattern that fits!
kbenco said…
I'm with Katherine, that's the best way to get a perfectly fitting top! The shape suits you really well. Isn't it satisfying to get something off the UFO pile?
This is a very nice top! Love the pleats!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...