Skip to main content

McCall's 7608 for Brisbane Spoolette's High Tea


Well it's that time of year again. Brisbane Spoolette's High Tea - it is usually on around my birthday date so it's a great double excuse for a nice outfit and a cocktail.  I chose to make McCall's 7608. Originally it was View D but with the shorter legs, but I forgot and cut out the long legs so I stuck with it as I figured if I don't like them I'll chop them again. As it was I cut off about 10cm from the bottom and that was just enough. Now this pattern was one of the ones that my friend brought back from the States for me when she was living there (they are living in Europe now). So I would give her a list of wannabe patterns and she would get what she could in the $1 and $2 sales. When I saw this one, I was "huh? what was I thinking". Plus it takes a lot of fabric and I usually buy fabric I love and then match it, so it's usually 2-3 metres only so when I found this fabulous hot pink fabric at the Maroochydore 2nd hand shop and it was 4 metres at 140cm wide, I knew it would be this jumpsuit.

I actually made a toile of this outfit, but it was from a thinner and more stiff fabric and that led to some problems.


I had orange thread in the overlocker for a gift garment I'll post up next (it's great, and I'm going to make me one too I love it so!),  and I had no hot pink but I love orange and pink together so didn't bother getting more pink.  But look at that point at the V! So pleased with that. Followed all the rules and it worked perfectly.


Here's the outside of the point. Nice!
So, the High Tea... I have a friend who I know from my son's 1st year at primary school where now, we are so busy we catch up here!



My other friend Kim got to her first Spoolette event and we started with a refreshing cocktail.


One for me too.


It was yummy and very pretty.


In the foreground is my friend Sarah.. she made her hat, which was fabulous and with a zip as the swirly embellishment... plus perfect match for my jumpsuit! I'll be asking to borrow that if I ever need a hat for the Melbourne Cup for example.


Yummy food, 62 women who love to sew, a glass of bubbles, tea, coffee, fabric swap and just all round fun. The standard and range of clothing was fabulous this year. I loved everything.  In that photo above, in the background you see Kerry, who when we notice each other said, "oh it's you, I didn't recognise you with your clothes on.". The people  nearby were a bit stunned, but we knew what we meant... we know each other from aqua aerobics at the night classes. Kim above if from the day classes. Worlds colliding!



Menu with added bonus words: The classic SANWICHES (sic), the roast beed (sic) was my favourite!


First time I think we've had a printed menu, which was quite pretty and entertaining!


Just as we were leaving we thought we'd get a photo at the beautiful staircase. Thanks to Liz for organising this event for the 6th year.

So, just a few words about my jumpsuit. It's very comfortable. I put in an invisible zip that was red as I had no pink.. this is a stash outfit all the way. As I said I did make a toile, but my fabric, which I think is a ramie or cotton or a mix of both. It's very linen like but doesn't wrinkle quite so much and is very soft and comfortable. It seemed to grow during the day and by the time I got home the straps were falling off. (I do have tiny shoulders). I didn't fit the bodice terrifically well as it's hard when you are by yourself, but I think I'll shorten the straps a bit and widen the front darts, which will allow a small pleat in the front which is completely eliminated on the current iteration. This should fix up the waist and shoulder length that has grown, but firstly I'll give it a hot wash and see if it shrinks a bit. All else fails, it's a quick sew and I've got heaps of fabric and I'll give that one to my niece.

Up next the orange gift.

Comments

Amy said…
Love the hot pink jumpsuit. It was even better in person! ❤️
colesworth said…
I didn't realise it was your birthday! happy birthday! Your birthday suit was awesome ha ha ha ;o) Always such a great day - you got some good photos too.
Patricia said…
Happy Birthday! I am so sorry I missed the high tea, and your gorgeous pink jumpsuit. What a great sew, and very nice for the occasion. The tea looks really fantastic, and I hope I get there next time, however there is always Frocktails to aim for. So funny the roast beed sanwiches. xx
katherine h said…
Such a gorgeous happy colour. You look great in this jumpsuit. Nice work on the "V".
Vanessa said…
Happy birthday! You looked wonderful in the jumpsuit, and the event looked like so much FUN!
McVal said…
That jumpsuit is adorable on you!
And I was looking for a dress for the cruise... I think I'm in love with the flounce one... Thanks!!!
Kyle said…
The jumpsuit looks great, as do you and that V point is perfection!

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit