Skip to main content

Winter sewing part 2

So finally I finished my jeans. Not that it was hard, but I do have an aversion to sewing waistbands, don't ask me why, I don't know? It's not like I have failed waistbands lying around, I just always procrastinate about sewing them. 


That's the pattern and the full length jeans. They have a straight waistband which actually works ok for my waist. The denim was bought at Lincraft a number of years ago and is probably great for winter in Brisbane, not sure how great they'll be in Germany. Not to worry I'm making merino tights and/or long johns. 

This is the back of the jeans. The pocket is ridiculously small. I knew it but should have pulled them off and done them again. Of course proportion is everything and smaller pockets mean bigger looking back end so I want to avoid that. I probably won't get time before we go away but it won't matter as they will be covered anyway.  


These photos are all terrible and all been lightened to see any detail. I don't remember what size I cut but I think it was 16 and I added a couple of centimetres from the hip to the mid thigh level. I needed it too.


Top here is the Simplicity off shoulder one, haven't got the pattern around but it was the wearable test top. A cotton gingham scrap someone gave me and so rose buttons holding the straps on. 


This top is the Ottobre top in the last post, but with a replaced sleeve that's been shortened, the top's been hemmed and the neck edge is overlocked with a wide narrow hem... does that make sense? So same as a narrow hem except I take out the right needle and it makes the close stitching wider.  It's hard to see there. I like this top and the fabric is quite thick so the neckline doesn't flop but is kind of  a structured drape, but it is warm and the metallic sleeves make it a little bit fancier. I don't expect that pleather to last, but I tried it on with no sleeves and I think with a long sleeve striped turtle/roll neck top it will be a nice layer for winter in Brisbane anyway.


Sorry I'm all over the shop, this is the side view of the jeans. I did the double line stitching on the outside and no stitching on the inside leg... intentionally for the double line but I got a bit carried away and forgot the order I should have stitched up the legs and don't have time to do things over. Still so much to do. The aim of the side seam should be straight from the top to the bottom but as you can see this isn't quite perfect.


 These pants above are made from the same fabric as the top. Quite a heavy wool mix knit with not a lot of stretch. My secret track pants... they looked better in my head. For anyone old enough who remembers The Goodies, I remember the bearded guy wearing something like this in a show and this is what I see when I look at that photo.. plus how short do my legs look, and chunky... tree trunks!  I might play with them this weekend and tack them slimmer and see if it's a better look. They do need to be shortened a little.


Back to the jeans ... they are blue not black like this photos shows but the red it pretty accurate. I used red topstitching thread and normal thread on the bobbin. Bar tacks were done with the Janome I used to do the topstitching (spoilt with two machines .. or three or four, but that's for another time). I used a 'hump jumper'... a piece of hard plastic I harvested from some random thing but is the perfect height and lovely 10cm length which makes it easy to handle.  I was worried I couldn't do the bar tacks but I am happy how they turned out. I'm actually quite please with how all these things worked out. Apologies about the bad quality of photos again.

I have much to make still - an Ottobre wrap sweatshirt hoodie in green merino, finish my son's long johns and undies, a merino body suit and hopefully a stripy body suit and another one I started ages ago and not finished. I'm also going to try to make the Jalie socks... anyone used that pattern? I thought I'd make merino socks as kind of a lining sock so they can get washed and will dry quickly and the heavier socks stay nice and clean. My son has very sweaty feet so if this is comfortable for him I may make him shorter ones for the summer too. I would also like to make a pair of swimmers for my son. I'll make another hat for him and one for me too. Hope I get it all done. 

Comments

They look great! I love that Ottobre top!
Janine said…
The jeans look like bought ones - totally meant as a compliment . The pockets look fine in the photos but I can see removing them , resewing them , adding top stitching etc takes a lot of time. Cute gingham top too. Would love to see the buttons close up. Have a great trip.
Vanessa said…
The jeans turned out beautifully!
katherine h said…
I procrastinate for waistbands too. I think it is because they never turn out as nicely as I would like.

I have heard a theory where the side seams should not be totally straight, but should follow the contours of our bodies to look more realistic and I think yours do this perfectly.

I hope you get all your sewing done xx
McVal said…
Good luck with finishing all your projects that you want to get done! I know how that goes. Especially with the procrastination. Darn hems.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit