Skip to main content

Proving their worth...

Hi, Happy New Year! We've been back from our trip nearly 3 weeks and no sewing has been done. It rained a lot while we were away and the grass in our back yard went from brown and crunchy quite literally, to green and lush but long. The grass has been cut 3 times already and needs it again.

So, as I haven't any sewing to report, I thought I'd talk about how some things have proved their worth.

Firstly,  the couch covers I made last April for my old couch. I made these covers very cheaply. The fabric was $4 per metre and a very light colour. Before I made them I cut a test piece and marked 10x10cm to throw in the wash to see how it would wash and if it would shrink.

It washed well and didn't shrink at all... good old synthetic. I just took the cushion covers off to wash them this weekend and I'm happy to say they have washed up perfectly. They haven't faded over the last 9 months although I noticed a light stain that didn't wash out but when I do the again I'll put some stain remover or something on it. I washed it on a 15 minute cycle so maybe next time I'll do longer. 
So, +1 for the couch covers. 




Next up the body suits made for out trip to Germany and Ireland (plus Paris). The mustard coloured one was a test one I started a couple of years ago and stopped because I didn't really like the very synthetic fabric. For the Euopean winter I figured it would be ok and if not I'd get  rid of it. I needed only to finish the snaps and the elastic and  the neck band. The elastic was picot that I had on hand. I used a cotton gusset from an old t-shirt. The neck band I crossed at the front to make a bow like feature. It was too wide at the upper back so (if you take note there looks to be a back seam) I just took it in making like a long dart up the back looking like a seam. This worked a treat. Wore terrifically well, easy care and warm. The black one is a merino/polyester 90/10 mix in favour of the merino. I make a cowl neck from a rectangle measured up to fit the neckline. I also shortened the depth from the shoulder to the upper bust (just under the armpit). I am very short there and the depth of the armscye was bothering me on the other one. (I took the mustard one in a bit). Much better fit. Same picot... I like the white on black look.  The merino was so comfortable... I never sweated in this, I stayed warm but dry, it washed well and with it's anti microbial and odour resistant properties made it a perfect travel clothing item.  So another + for these pieces.


So to the merino undies - they weren't made use of as even in that short time frame, they were too small by the time we needed them (did I say our bags were lost for 6 days on arrival - I'll talk about that further down). My hat (black piece with the gold brooch on it) was used but the fabric was very old backed fake fleece stuff and started separating, but it was great to make and see how easy it was. An old Butterick pattern not handy at the moment.

The merino slouch hat wasn't worn, and the neck cowl wasn't either. Mostly because my son doesn't feel the cold as much as me. The merino socks made from the Jalie download pattern. I would recommend this pattern. I made these up in about 30 minutes a pair including cutting out. I used leftover scraps and it did not have the stretch required but these proved to be very beneficial as under socks. They kept feet warm without sweating which is a very big problem for my son. They were a big hit so I'll make more of these when I get the right weight merino to make for my son to wear under his school socks. +1


Next up the Burda jeans and Ottobre top I made. The jeans were very comfortable and warm enough with some tights under them. I love having the perfect length pants! I had added to the hip but did not need it and the waist is too big. Not sure if that was because they stretched out a bit or not, but I will fix these up in winter. Only trouble is I did the two rows of stitching down the outside of the leg so that will need to be redone. I think it will be worth the trouble. Can't bear to have anything like that on me at the moment as it is so hot.

The Ottobre top I really loved. It was a great fabric that was very warm (a wool) and the sleeves were from pewter faux leather. I had to replace one sleeve before I'd even worn it as it was proved to be old from a sale. I dropped it in a charity bin as well as the wide leg pants I made from that fabric as they proved to be nice but not good for me. If I had room I would have brought them home to cut new sleeves from the pants but I didn't. More on that later.


The next best thing I made was the green Ottobre wrap hoodie. This is a bad photo of it (in my friend's local in Ballyvaughan) but the only photo of me wearing it. I had to piece the hood as I only had a small  piece left over from making my son a pullover from it (that he didn't like). This was so warm and I love the colour. It is made from merino fleece that was the bargain price of $10 per metre. I wanted to make a pink and white body suit to wear with it but didn't get time. 

Before leaving I bought a 2nd hand down jacket for $40. It was perfect for our trip and a bargain. I also bought Alex some $300 hiking boots 2nd hand but new with the tags on them for $50. That was another great bargain that proved it's worth also. 

So we arrived into Frankfurt and our bags didn't. We didn't get them till 6 days later. In all my years of travel this is only the 2nd time my bags have been lost and both times in the winter! I left 35 degree celsius to 3 degrees and had no shoes suitable (not to mention anything else) and we had to buy shoes and basic clothing and toiletries but because we already had what we needed, we had too much. I wasn't sure we would get our bags in time for our little 10 day rail trip I'd planned, but we got them the afternoon before we left for Berlin.

This was the trip that had all the travel issues. I had booked over a month before (which I know is not a long time in advance) and took insurance too, but this had still not been issued to me despite many contacts with the insurer and of course we had to claim lost luggage the moment we land (well 12 hour after anyway. We were travelling from Cologne to Berlin to Munich and then meeting our German friends in Paris and then travelling all together back to Cologne. Of course there was a French rail strike so we took the train back to Cologne and drove together. We lost a day in Paris as we were going a day earlier to go to Versailles (my friends and I had been but I wanted to Alex to experience it). We got lucky however and found a car park on the street right outside our hotel in Montmartre and the parking inspectors were also on strike! We had a great hotel and we even had a view of the Eiffel Tower - bonus!


We were bumped off our flight from Dublin to Singapore but went the next day on business class and that was fun. We also lost a nigh in Singapore but we will go back soon. Then on arrival home, one of our bags was damaged so badly they have to replace it.  After all our tribulations, we had a wonderful trip together. 

So my sewing played a big part in our trip and for the most part, nearly everything proved their worth!

Comments

WHEW! What a tale! But, what matters most is the good stuff. Sounds like a great trip.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit