Skip to main content

Holiday spoils, part 2.

** Edited to add, I still cannot comment on most blogs (even replying on mine??) and I really appreciate the kind comments especially re my Mum. 

So, more holiday sewing stories. We have friends in Cologne and we stayed with them for 4 weeks in Germany with a rail interlude for Alex and I of about 12 days meeting our friends in Paris for a long weekend and two weeks in Ireland, mostly county Clare. I've spoke of the rail strike that tried to thwart our trip but we reorganised it and got to do nearly everything we wanted. 

I did find Cologne had a Stoff & Stil shop. I was so excited and it was right around the corner from a museum we wanted to go to. Gosh I was so excited. It is a large, beautiful shop. Really engaging with so much terrific stuff. 


The racks above held patterns - all on display and you pulled the front out like a drawer and picked your pattern. To the right they had samples made up. I thought that was terrific as you could see how fabrics behaved and of course sizing. I didn't buy any patterns though.


Loads of fabrics. There were a few rows here on the right and at the back there were a few rows too. There was haberdashery behind where I'm taking the photo. Lots of stuff. Really great quality clips, needles, pins etc. I did get some things - a hem measurer and some other things I can't find and can't remember. I know I had to be restrained as I didn't really have lots of space.


To the far left of the fabric racks was the bargain tables. Fabric wasn't super cheap but it was very good quality. In the basket to the left was packaged fabrics - 3 for 6.95 Euro. I bought one of these - a nice cotton knit (a t-shirt), a fine black faux leather and a heavy navy and white large stripe upholstery fabric I think. I'll either make a bag out of it or maybe a coat if there is enough.  There was so much. Lots of paints and crafty things, wool, knitting needles, crochet hooks, iron on and sew on motifs, beads, kits of stuff etc. Just lots of really nice stuff.


Look at just part of the zip selection. At least this many again in more colours.


Also this poster in the waiting area.


Here's Alex not yet noticing how long I have been due to the wifi, that wore thin after about 45 minutes.... there's my basket in front.


Close up of what it says!


I also had to take a photo of the crocheted pot holders my friend's mother and her grandmother made over 60 years ago. She still uses them, hence a few stains she can't get out. Amazing. My friend use to make her own clothes in the 60's, 70's and 80's until her work was too busy.

This is the craft shop I spoke of in my previous post where I bought my little spool holder. A beautiful building but it was really raining and windy and it was their last day before closing for Christmas/New Year break.  Thats my finger on bottom left somehow? I didn't feel right taking photos of the beautiful wool garments, blankets, capes, scarves etc but it was so beautiful (and expensive especially converted to AUD - double expensive so unaffordable for me).


We had great coffee at the little van converted to a coffee shop and all the home made cakes were half price so we had some to share too... no evidence of the cakes yet but great big scones and a great brownie.


This picture really took my eye. Have a close look. It's an Irish breakfast - felted wool. Isn't it terrific! At a close distance I wondered why anyone would take a photo of a breakfast and frame it, but was super surprised when I looked close. Following some photos of our trip. Not too many though.


My Burda jeans and Ottobre top. I actually loved the top and it was super warm but the pleather didn't wear well so I donated it. 


We look happy but this was a long day in what was probably the most miserable day we had. It was wet and freezing in Berlin that day/night. Still we were in Berlin!


Most of our 6 week trip we were lucky to have very good weather with loads more sun than I've ever had in Europe in winter in my previous 4 or 5 times (I always go in winter 'cause I hate the crowds).  That's Cologne Cathedral in the day time. We went to the fantastic Christmas markets everywhere we went too. My hair was crazy while we were away and I asked my friend ... I couldn't work out why it was all knotty at the base of my neck and she told me it's from the scarves! Of course, so obvious when someone points it out.


This day was another cold day. This is in the park in Munich... they are surfing on the waves where concrete blocks have been placed in the man made river to create the waves.  It was so fun to watch; it's very fast and the riders are very skilled. Just to let you know how cold it was, deep puddles were frozen solid and the smaller creek around had iced over.


There's Alex though the grasses. Coastal view near Ballyvaughan where my German friends have a house.


Really terrific weather for most of the time. So lucky!


Look at that sky.


Lobster dinner night... It was fabulous. Caught just outside the door to this restaurant on the water.


Walking around at the top of one of the hills near my friend's house. It was cold but sunny and you could see for miles.


Just in case you can't tell it's the sea and you shouldn't drive over the edge.


This is my friend and the house. The table was at that big glass window and one morning having breakfast we saw a hare just run just where the car is. Our room was the loft where you see the window in the roof. There are just a few houses around there and a total of 284 people in the village.


My other friend testing the blanket she bought at the craft shop... the yellow matches one of the chairs  in the room too. Hand woven.


This is where our friendship started 28 years ago. A boyfriend and I were travelling around Ireland on a motorcycle and we were checking that map behind us. They came over as they noticed the Australian plates on the bike and offered us to stay in their house (they had only had it 1 year I think) that night as there were no camping grounds anywhere near there. (there still isn't and it's not camping earth... it's all rocky around the Burren. My boyfriend said we'd camp in their yard but it's on a huge hill and I said why would we camp when there is a bed on offer and I refused to camp... I was vindicated when it absolutely bucketed down all night!  We've had the most wonderful friendship. They have come to Australia many, many times and we have gone there a number of times also.  It was my first time back to Ireland.

My friend is very sick although not too bad at that time, but he's gone through much treatment and there aren't many options left. I was in two minds about going and wondering if I should travel in the coming summer thinking it may be better for my friend.  Obviously now I am so glad we just went. Alex and I have travelled nearly every year, but although it was Alex's 4th time to Europe, it was his first where we actually travelled around a lot and saw lots and also he was old enough to really appreciate it. We had such a great time together and together with our friends. I feel privileged that my 15 year old son (16 next week) and I could have such great times together still. I loved showing him where I travelled the many times I went before I had him. I'm not one for too many fancy things, or big house and fancy car but I love travelling and I love live music and that's where I spend my money. (I mean if I was more affluent, I would have a big house but my one indulgence would be a lap pool... dreams!).

Thanks for letting me indulge myself a little with our trip and tying it back to sewing. 

Comments

Vanessa said…
What a beautiful adventure!! Thank you for sharing! I am glad you decided to go too.

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit