Skip to main content

Novelty prints and a refashion

I get drawn to novelty prints but really they aren't for me. I don't really know why. When I was in Melbourne in 2016 I bought some nice cotton knit with 'flat cat' and in Spotlight a couple of years ago I bought a moustache print (that I noticed they still sold online the other day). Alex's pjs were getting too small and ratty. He was wearing a t-shirt that was bought in light blue to wear under his school shirts in winter as it was just a bit too cold for just his jacket but too hot to wear a jumper (sweater) with it. It was worn out and stained and soft so he loved it but it had to go. I threw it away while he was at his Dad's.


I've used this Simplicity boxer pattern a lot. It covers all sizes, uses small bits of fabric and is quick and super easy 1 piece pattern so there is no side seam.


 I've used this Simplicity boxer pattern a lot. It covers all sizes, uses small bits of fabric and is quick and super easy 1 piece pattern so there is no side seam.  I used Simplicity 5271 for the t-shirt. I'm not that happy with the fit of this but Alex loves how it is big and loose.


 This is the first set I made. The shorts were tight like Warwick Capper (apologies if you look at that YouTube) and that wouldn't do and the t-shirt above hasn't had the sleeves and bottom hemmed yet. The grey fabric is lovely and soft and washes up well. The green was from scrap leftover from a t-shirt made years ago for Alex as I didn't have enough of the grey. The green gingham is a lovely vintage piece of cotton from an op shop years ago.


I made another pair of shorts from a flat cat cotton knit and opened up the gingham shorts to put a strip down the sides and made the fly with buttons but not to open. Alex doesn't see the point. They both fit him but the knit ones I made bigger and he loves them so loose.


Adjusted and finished and getting ready for use.


Then I made another t-shirt with flat cat fabric. Again not enough to make the sleeves and a good thing too I think. Enough of that white. I used a t-shirt I recently bought from Kmart for $2 with this lovely green and white stripe of organic cotton. As I had more fabric the sleeves are a better length. I gave all the scraps to a friend who has a 2 year old grand-daughter so there should be enough to make a little t-shirt or shorts.


Look at that inadvertent pattern matching! No buttons and they fly is sewn down. He loves these too and says they are very soft and comfortable and the t-shirt is just how he likes them to sleep in. Stash busting again - so pleased to be shopping and using my stash. What foresight do stash builders have being prepared for pandemics!


I've been sewing for me too. That black floral fabric is a skirt I picked up at Target for $5 on clearance. It is a lovely rayon crepe which is one of my favourite fabrics. It's just an elastic waisted skirt with a frill of about 20cm at the bottom. Right next to these was tops also for $5 and the colour matched; also a rayon crepe. I bought the top in an XXL size with the intention to refashion it. I forgot to take a photo of the original top, but the neckline was plain and the arm holes huge even for the person who would fit the right size (which I why I think they were on sale). It also had a high low hemline that was curved. I used Simplicity 2188 to make the top to fit me. 

The original top had bias facing around the neckline and armholes and was very nicely made. It was put on and then turned to the inside. I should have taken a photo as it is a lovely finish. I unpicked the bias off and used the pattern to cut out and mark the pleats. I didn't put the bias back on the armholes (just overlocked and turned over) but did for the neckline. This took a little while as I had to piece it and the fabric frayed a bit with handling. I think I cut it to a size 8 which is perfect for my shoulders and the pleats kind of give me an kind of FBA. No photos of the finished top but I've worn these together and I'm very happy with my refashion.


As I had no thread that matched even closely and not wanting to use white, I saved the thread I pulled off the overlocking on the inside. It was quite good quality but I still wondered if it would sew well as  we all know what happens when you use cheap thread in the machine. I had a few different lengths wrapped around an old spool and for the most part this worked perfectly. I did the hem, armholes and neckline. 

I have some other things I'm making and I'm trying to finish all UFOs even if I know they won't fit. I've moved 4 big plastic tubs of fabric under the house to make more space in my sewing room which is really tiny. I feel completely overwhelmed by those boxes in my room... like they are judging me and taunting me and I think it kind of distracts me. Don't worry I still have fabric in my little built-in cupboard that I can touch and feel and lets face it, the rest is just a few steps away. 

I have this week off and have some home jobs I want to get to, paper work and of course sewing. I am enjoying the freedom from obligation to visit and go out ... I'm loving staying at home but that can also be because my job is considered an essential service and get out 5 days a week legitimately. It is really weird to be in the office... everything is business as usual - same colleagues, same work (just about 10 times more) and same environment, but when I drive to work there is no traffic and what would normally take at least 45 minutes for a 7 klm drive takes 10 minutes. (I park on the street as there is no metered parking any longer to allow essential workers to drive and park for free). I feel like it's 1985 Sunday traffic. Weird. The only thing I really miss is going to aqua aerobics and swimming; physically and mentally and although I'm doing yoga and walking and I love it, it's not the same as the support water provides for slightly broken bodies.  Hope everyone is coping well in this strange new world. 

Comments

Patricia said…
I love all the PJs, and the green check and stripes work so well with the flat cat. Great save on the spot top which sure is a perfect match for the pretty skirt. Isn't Brisbane strange now (along with the rest of the world). At least we stashers are getting extra time for sewing. My goal is a garment per week for myself as long as the isolation goes on. Plus growing a few vegetables and doing some watercolour painting. Not really that bad, this isolation business :) xx
Vanessa said…
I love all the pajama sets you created! The mustaches are awesome! I am glad your stash is able to keep you busy during this time, and I agree so many things (like less traffic) are an oddity in the state of our world today.
katherine h said…
Green and black is one of my favourite colour combos.

So interesting to hear about your experiences working when everyone else is staying at home. Enjoy your few days off and I hope you get lots done. Stay well xx
McVal said…
LOVE those patterns! and great job on reusing the thread! That little blob of thread looks like something I saw on our carpet last week... ;) I should have been more creative with it than throwing it away.

Popular posts from this blog

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit