Skip to main content

A different fabric souvenir

 Hello 😀 It's been a long time. There are many reasons.  I've had two blog posts ready; one from a trip with a friend last year to Paris and Amsterdam and then a cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest, and the other from my trip in late May/June this year with my son to Athens, and then I went onto Cyprus (to see my maternal family) and then Paris for a lone few days and then to Lisbon to see some friends who were there staying with their family. I've had some lovely things happen in the last two years but some really hard things too.

Anyway, I had to go back to Athens to fly home alone and did my fabric shopping then! (as Alex is very impatient with fabric shopping 😊... not sure why. There was lots. I bought a few pieces but the one I'm going to show you today is a more unusual fabric souvenir. 


It's a table cloth! I found it at one of the fabric shops in the fabric area; I'll do another post about the area soon. It's quite heavy cotton. I'd say canvas like. This was the last section of a buy off the roll panels. It's square; although I haven't measured it but I would say it's about 1.6m x 1.6 or so. There was another option which had lots more left but was a much busier print. I liked the simplicity of this one.



The selvages were cut with pinking shears and the other two ends were the straight panel cuts. I wanted a bit of white showing after the last stripe and started sewing straight lines at a distance from the stripe and then did a double fold and sewed it down. It wasn't cut evenly so the hem goes a bit narrower in some spots but the thread I used (from Mum's stash) is a perfect match so it's hard to see. I just finished it now and put it on the table.


This has made me enormously happy. Also that it's been done within 8 weeks of getting it home. I love it on my huge deck table. Have you had any unusual fabric souvenirs? 

I'll be back soon. I've made some things, got some unfinished still things, I've repaired some things and sold lots of my machines too. Don't worry, I still have too many. See you soon.

Comments

Patricia said…
Hello Sophie, how lovely to see your blog post. Your tablecloth is absolutely gorgeous, and a perfect souvenir from Greece. How pretty it looks on the deck table. It looks like you have done quite a bit of travelling, and good for you. You had a difficult time the previous year. So many lovely places in Europe; Paris, Amsterdam, Portugal, Greece - what a list! Happy sewing and travels to you.
Debbie Cook said…
Welcome back! Lovely souvenir from Greece. Looking at it should rekindle memories of your trip. So sorry to hear of the hard times. Hopefully, that is all in the past now and only happy times are ahead.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...