Skip to main content

Forgotten pieces.


This dress I made last summer from an old pattern that my friend has at the moment. I'd forgotten about it until the other day. She dropped it off and I remembered it needs to be taken in under the arms as it is too wide as usual. It was a very fast make and made with some fabric I liked enough to buy as a remnant but not enough to make something truly serious. I do love this dress because it is cool looks different and is interesting. The white collar has ties and wraps around your waist.


This Lisette skirt and shirt pattern I cut out last summer also and made the skirt up on Saturday but had no grosgrain ribbon to finish it. I completely forgot to get some at Spotlight the other day in the excitement of getting red sparkles! It is linen I bought at the fabric sale I go to about 15 years ago (have I written this before? - I've got a bit of deja vu). The paisley I got at a Sewing Guild meeting where they brought fabric they didn't want (including the silk floral I spoke of for the Burda jumpsuit a few posts ago - you know the clown look one) and it was just this small panel. I didn't have enough of the linen to make anything and I thought they went well together - the paisley lifts the slightly nanna-ishness of the lilac in my opinion. I made a 14 and this is the first pattern that has just fit me straight out of the pack and I know it's a simple draft but it went together beautifully. You can just see the tab placed on the LHS of the skirt for show but I have three others made of course and I will finish this tomorrow. 



This is the fabric that the little shirt is cut out from  - it's a bit more green than this and I think a poly cotton that was also a remnant. Both are sort of wearable muslins and I hope the top is  as easy and  well drafted as the skirt. I think a nice easy pattern would be nice to have - one that just fits! I have more on the drawing board but think the painting needs some attention in the next few days.


Comments

What a treasure trove of goodies you found. Love the unusual collar on the dress.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...